• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 4 Condition Question
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice on a recent ebay purchase:

I bought this copy of SS 4 from a new seller. Some of the images were blurry but the cover(included picture) seem clear, good colors with fairly good corners.

I asked if all the pages were intact, missing staples etc, prior to making an offer. The seller responded it is intact with some more pictures I requested of the interior.

My offer was $300 and he accepted. Upon receiving it I noticed seven pages were not attached to the bottom staple(see pictures). Also there is a tear on the first seven pages at the 

top staple. The book also has some water damage, that a press would take out or at least help with.

This book is pretty hot so I'm conflicted on ways to proceed.

. I'm wondering whether I should return it and use the $300 towards a higher grade, or ask for a partial refund to bring it down to 

a more appropriate grade and keep it. I'm thinking it was a 3.5 - 4.0 at best prior to the page tears. But with the page attachment issue and the tears I'm thinking it would be more a 2.0-2.5.

How do page tears like these affect the grade at Good/Very Good?

IMG_6536.jpeg

IMG_6537.jpeg

IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6546.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

IMG_6548.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

IMG_6551.jpeg

s-l500.jpg

Tough call. If you feel it’s 300 well spent, keep it. If not, return it.

You could also ask for a partial refund based on the issues that weren’t mentioned in the description.

Thanks for everyones' the input. I agree this is a production error.

I've put in a request for a refund. The seller claims the book wasn't in this condition when it was sent out doh!

Clearly the seller is trying to blow me off. 

I was reasonable and offered a partial refund, mind you I feel like I should put the cash towards a better copy, and is where I'm leaning to. 

@flashlites Interesting that you think it could grade 3.5 - 4.0. I feel like four pages being without a staple would be at best a 2.5. 

3 hours ago, firemeetsearth said:

Thanks for everyones' the input. I agree this is a production error.

I've put in a request for a refund. The seller claims the book wasn't in this condition when it was sent out doh!

Clearly the seller is trying to blow me off. 

I was reasonable and offered a partial refund, mind you I feel like I should put the cash towards a better copy, and is where I'm leaning to. 

@flashlites Interesting that you think it could grade 3.5 - 4.0. I feel like four pages being without a staple would be at best a 2.5. 

I still feel it would grade in that range as manufacturing defects are looked at differently. Now if some kid years ago tried to rip out those pages and stopped short, then were talking serious damage. I totally agree with the other comments though if you're not happy with it you should return it.😀