• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 Middleton candidate for pressing?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I got two of my favorite covers and they have a somewhat minor and very minor dents/bump. The color one also has a smudge  😕

the black & white has two dents  one is less visible and it’s on top of the other one  

I was hoping for a 9.8. My question is could these be resolved with a pressing?

Thanks to all. 

CADDD7E4-6D0D-461D-A206-B74227CFA64B.jpeg

D36F3C5E-0098-4B8A-97AE-0CC81E9AC5CC.jpeg

2E565E1B-E25C-4CA2-8559-47190F78BDDB.jpeg

85C2B245-C30A-483A-A63C-4BB54765CABD.jpeg

6035CE7A-0ACF-438F-96FD-BEE022262563.jpeg

FE71E2EF-C6CE-4F00-AC5D-7A3C8A694FD6.jpeg

Fair comment. At this point I’m weighing my options. A graded copy will be over $100-$130 so if this would easily come off with a $12 pressing then it might be worth spending $32 to get it pressed and graded.

About the smudge, what’s wonder bread?

Thank you for the replies!

10 minutes ago, GFlo said:

Fair comment. At this point I’m weighing my options. A graded copy will be over $100-$130 so if this would easily come off with a $12 pressing then it might be worth spending $32 to get it pressed and graded.

I'm not up on pressing prices as I've yet to have used a service-to each their own!I am guilty of the encyclopedia stack method in the past though!

The wonder bread comment was a little tongue in cheek,there are many differing views and opinions on it,it's been discussed widely here.This is a link to a reaaal old thread that I found doing a quick search here.Gives you some thoughts on it and a small how to from october,whos opinion I respect.

Edited by porcupine48
Comment not comic,sheesh

On 9/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, GFlo said:

Is that the price for a 9.8?  Buy a 9.6 instead.  I am finding myself happier with 9.6s than 9.8s recently.  Just got a 9.8 for a registry series I compete in, and a whole corner (perhaps 1/8th inch) had an impact dent.

Storing books with issues like these under encyclopedias will not reverse this type of damage, nor will using wonder bread (unless you don’t mind vegetable oil being rubbed into your comic) remove the scuffs properly  

If any of these crunches break color you will most likely will not get a 9.8 even after pressing. They would need to be reviewed first for any potential, and scans aren’t enough to go by.

20 hours ago, joeypost said:

Storing books with issues like these under encyclopedias will not reverse this type of damage, nor will using wonder bread (unless you don’t mind vegetable oil being rubbed into your comic) remove the scuffs properly  

If any of these crunches break color you will most likely will not get a 9.8 even after pressing. They would need to be reviewed first for any potential, and scans aren’t enough to go by.

do people really use wonderbread to clean their books? I mean doesn't that damage the comic with the oils and organic matter probably being left behind, to maybe even start mold etc.. 

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

do people really use wonderbread to clean their books? I mean doesn't that damage the comic with the oils and organic matter probably being left behind, to maybe even start mold etc.. 

People do. I never understood why, but eraser technology has come a long way compared to way back when. 

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

People do. I never understood why, but eraser technology has come a long way compared to way back when. 

:whatthe: i always thought it was a joke. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, joeypost said:

wow I mean initial reaction is why would someone think of taking white bread a organic thing that breaks down gets moldy if to old with oils, flour, etc.. and rub it all over their comic book I mean the organic material left behind wouldn't be a worry to people that well if bread can't last for years without spoiling maybe I should put this on my book that I want to last for a long time?

3 hours ago, Krishosein said:

wow I mean initial reaction is why would someone think of taking white bread a organic thing that breaks down gets moldy if to old with oils, flour, etc.. and rub it all over their comic book I mean the organic material left behind wouldn't be a worry to people that well if bread can't last for years without spoiling maybe I should put this on my book that I want to last for a long time?

Yeah, head scratch.   I mean, in this day and age, all that it takes is one poster to say 'hey this works', and it rolls down hill.   Thank god the Surgeons General doesn't follow this model.   I am not rubbing bread on my comics.  Not even sourdough. 

5 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Yeah, head scratch.   I mean, in this day and age, all that it takes is one poster to say 'hey this works', and it rolls down hill.   Thank god the Surgeons General doesn't follow this model.   I am not rubbing bread on my comics.  Not even sourdough. 

I wonder if the people cleaning books with the bread; butter it as well to re gloss? lol :roflmao:

Edited by Krishosein

On 9/18/2019 at 5:51 PM, Phill the Governor said:

9.8s, 9.9s and 10.0s are the biggest joke in the hobby. People just chasing labels.

I've seen enough 9.6s and 9.8s to confidently say: in most cases there is NO difference.

I agree but if that is really the case then why are we all even talking about wasting our money on pressing and grading?

2 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

I agree but if that is really the case then why are we all even talking about wasting our money on pressing and grading?

because most people realize trying to get 9.8s is an exercise in both patience and luck. And mostly luck, especially if we aren't talking about newer books.