• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Because Auctions Don't Take Enough Time Already...
1 1

20 posts in this topic

From Heritage:

1) Normal bidding: Bids are taken up until 6:00 PM CT the night the auction closes. 2) 10 Minute Ending: On a lot-by-lot basis, starting at 6:00 PM CT, any person who has bid on the lot previously may continue to bid on that lot until there are no more bids for 10 minutes. For example, if you bid on a lot during Normal Bidding, you could participate during Extended Bidding for that lot, but not on lots you did not bid on previously. If a bid is placed on the lot at 6:05, the new end time for that lot would become 6:15. If no other bids were placed before 6:15, the lot would close. If you are the high bidder on a lot, changing your bid will not extend the bidding during the 10 Minute Ending phase (only a bid from another bidder will extend bidding). If you are the only bidder at 6 PM, you will automatically win the lot at 6:10.

45 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

From Heritage:

1) Normal bidding: Bids are taken up until 6:00 PM CT the night the auction closes. 2) 10 Minute Ending: On a lot-by-lot basis, starting at 6:00 PM CT, any person who has bid on the lot previously may continue to bid on that lot until there  no more bids for 10 minutes. For example, if you bid on a lot during Normal Bidding, you could participate during Extended Bidding for that lot, but not on lots you did not bid on previously. If a bid is placed on the lot at 6:05, the new end time for that lot would become 6:15. If no other bids were placed before 6:15, the lot would close. If you are the high bidder on a lot, changing your bid will not extend the bidding during the 10 Minute Ending phase (only a bid from another bidder will extend bidding). If you are the only bidder at 6 PM, you will automatically win the lot at 6:10.

We all know how the extended bidding  thing wrings out the last dollar from the way things go at CC.

But this introduces a new aspect to the extended bidding in the sense that it is only open to those who have previously bid before the extended bidding periods begin. This changes nothing and seems like needless complications written by lawyers.

I don't know anyone who wants a book that wouldn't have thrown down a bid during the normal auction period.  Nobody can know if a book is going to end during the normal auction period, so nobody is going to hold their bid until the extended period begins.  Why Heritage felt the need to limit extended bidding to those who previously bid during the normal auction, I cannot fathom.

:frown: A far cry from a few years ago when all the Sunday lots closed at the same time. Those were the days (for buyers at least).

This is similar to how REA and Goldin run their sports auctions (though REA resets the clock for EVERY lot if one lot is bid on in extra time). I'd hate living on the east coast for these drawn out auctions.

I ended up losing a non-comic book Heritage auction on extended bidding.  I put in the most that I was willing to pay thirty minutes before the auction ended.  Another bidder keep bidding.  Two and a half hours later the other bidder won, since I refused to bid more and could purchase the item cheaper somewhere else.  Unfortunately, in California, there is the buyer's premium and sales tax, which adds 30.5 percent to the final bid.  If I don't win, there is always another auction.  I would have preferred live bidding.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

From Heritage:

1) Normal bidding: Bids are taken up until 6:00 PM CT the night the auction closes. 2) 10 Minute Ending: On a lot-by-lot basis, starting at 6:00 PM CT, any person who has bid on the lot previously may continue to bid on that lot until there are no more bids for 10 minutes. For example, if you bid on a lot during Normal Bidding, you could participate during Extended Bidding for that lot, but not on lots you did not bid on previously. If a bid is placed on the lot at 6:05, the new end time for that lot would become 6:15. If no other bids were placed before 6:15, the lot would close. If you are the high bidder on a lot, changing your bid will not extend the bidding during the 10 Minute Ending phase (only a bid from another bidder will extend bidding). If you are the only bidder at 6 PM, you will automatically win the lot at 6:10.

Link please?  I can't find this on their site.  References to 30 minute ending on signature, and bids taken until 10PM CT, yes.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Link please?  I can't find this on their site.  References to 30 minute ending on signature, and bids taken until 10PM CT, yes.

It was part of a marketing email today.  Coming soon.

Does "on a lot by lot basis" mean the individual lots are spread out over several hours spaced a part by a few minutes with the 10 minute timers kicking in at specified times for each lot...or is it everything ends at 6, no more live bidding session? Extended bidding only for items you put in a bid for prior to 6, mad free for all at the end?

Oh well, wont typically effect me, I rarely bid on more than one or two books at a time, and just put in my max bid hours or days in advance. I almost never sit through the actual auctions.

Edited by szav

19 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

All I know is I am in agony for an auction ending tomorrow :cry:

Well, since tomorrow is Sunday, how do their Sunday auctions end anyways?  hm

Is it like their regular auctions where it keeps going up as long as there's a bidder before last call, or is it in the CL final bell format?  ???

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since tomorrow is Sunday, how do their Sunday auctions end anyways?  hm

Is it like their regular auctions where it keeps going up as long as there's a bidder before last call, or is it in the CL final bell format?  ???

I wish the delta between the start and the end was one maybe two days !

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

From Heritage:

Anything to pressure bidders into as much buyers remorse as possible, that’s why...

Oh wait, they are really trying to make things more exciting for the bidders by giving everyone a fair chance at feeling the above...:foryou:

I actually don't hate the 3 minute extensions to live bidding on ComicConnect (the twelve months between the auction starting and closing on the other hand :insane:).  Three minutes is enough time for me to check what I can sell to up my bid or come up with a plausible excuse to use on the misses.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I actually don't hate the 3 minute extensions to live bidding on ComicConnect (the twelve months between the auction starting and closing on the other hand :insane:).  Three minutes is enough time for me to check what I can sell to up my bid or come up with a plausible excuse to use on the misses.

And you can get batmanfan’s 2 books on digital  “Instant Power Selling” and “Perfect Excuses for Dummies...in 3 minutes or less” available on Amazon.

Must reads...:devil:

Edited by N e r V