• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Web of Evil 5
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So . . . complete, cf attached, but front cover is a mess - top staple detached, bottom hanging on, pieces missing from spine (see scan for which ones), and then the biggest issue, the bottom right corner. I have a big piece of that corner (more on that below). First page also has piece missing from bottom right corner (can be seen in scan, doesn't affect panels). Back cover is decent. Not brittle at all, just well used. Cream pages.

I have most of the missing bottom right piece (and I thought I had made a scan of the book with the piece in place, but I guess I didn't). I would like opinions on grade as is.

Would also welcome opinions on a) reattached grade (would be conserved - and yes, I know it's almost impossible without actually seeing how would look, but assume it fills in the bottom part, leaving the right empty almost straight down from the upper 1/2" missing part - i.e. missing 1/2" x 3" jagged piece along right edge to bottom edge) and b) would it be worth it to suffer the conserved label with better presentation, or as is blue label?

Thank you!

CGC244.jpg

CGC245.jpg

Not a lot of takers on this one.  hm  Great book! This may not be a popular opinion but I would reattach the corner piece from the inside with a tiny, removable-if-desired piece of clear tape. This is a low-grade book (in technical grade, not eye appeal!) and I suspect you're looking at somewhere around 1.8, maybe 2.0 whether the piece is there or not. With that in mind it might as well look better.

19 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Not a lot of takers on this one.  hm  Great book! This may not be a popular opinion but I would reattach the corner piece from the inside with a tiny, removable-if-desired piece of clear tape. This is a low-grade book (in technical grade, not eye appeal!) and I suspect you're looking at somewhere around 1.8, maybe 2.0 whether the piece is there or not. With that in mind it might as well look better.

I know! I thought this would be a popular book - but I guess not (or all the fans are away for the weekend?).

Great cover! My guess is 1.8 as well. 

I can't advise you what to do regarding the missing corner piece, but I think the book would be better suited as a low grade blue label than a low grade Conserved label...and it would save you time and money as well.

If you do submit this book for certification, please make sure to attach a "FRAGILE" sticker to the bag...  (thumbsu

This is an interesting one.  As is, I agree with the crowd that the book is a 1.8.  I think the grade for a reattached large corner piece(s) creates 2 possible (and interesting) scenarios:

1. At this low grade, the reattached piece will be considered taped on and therefore actually still detached, regardless of whether you use archival, removable or scotch tape.  Thus remaining a CGC 1.8 blue label with a notation "large corner piece reattached with tape"

2. The reattached piece (with archival tape. i'm assuming you're not sending for professional resto), will receive a conserved grade of 2.5 (i'm imagining a nearly complete bottom right corner with a well-done inside cover tape job with barely visible tear seams)

If this book were for my personal collection, my opinion is the same as @Point Five, I would reattach the corner piece(s) with removable tape.  I've done this with a few of my GA books.  You keep the option to remove the tape with minimal damage.  The eye appeal of a complete looking cover would be a massive improvement from the current state.  (Random thought:  does removable tape degrade, yellow and become acidic like scotch tape? )

However, if the book is slated for re-sale, then the time, effort and risk of restoring that large corner piece and submitting for grading would yield minimal benefit.  I'm thinking the sale price for a conserved 2.5 would be about the same as a blue label 1.8.

Interesting discussion as I have a few fragile key GA books that I'd love to mend without destroying the value or longevity of the books.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

You could always tape the missing piece back on, which would not result in a conserved or restored grade. 

I've been going back and forth about this with my presser/cleaner. I asked him to take a picture of the book after it's pressed with and without the piece. If I do ask for it to be reattached it will be with regular ol' tape to avoid Gray or Purple labels.