• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF1

21 posts in this topic

A Very Nice "Well Loved Book",   :cloud9:    :luhv:

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD):

Shows substantial to heavy wear. Books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled, and possibly unattractive, but still generally readable. Cover shows considerable wear and may be detached. Almost no cover reflectivity remaining. Book-length creases, tears and folds may be present. Rounded corners are increasingly common. Soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing is generally present. Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are increasingly common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is common. May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Staple tears and stress lines are common, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown and may show brittleness around the edges. Acidic odor may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Interior tears are common.

Well, I've seen worse. 

From what I can see, I'd be in the 2.0 range, but personally, I'd be very careful about purchasing a book of this magnitude without proper certification. At the very least, I'd want to know if the book has more tape on the interior and whether it's complete or not...  hm 

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, I've seen worse. 

From what I can see, I'd be in the 2.0 range, but personally, I'd be very careful about purchasing a book of this magnitude without proper certification. At the very least, I'd want to know if the book has more tape on the interior and whether it's complete or not...  hm 

Actually, this is after its been inspected and cleaned up - hopefully its a 2.0, but I'm ready for a 1.8, or even a 1.5. It was done by Susan Cicconi at the Restoration Lab. Heres some before pix...

IMG_1321.thumb.jpeg.2083f5ac3f2d1be60d6d513bd3df7d46.jpeg

IMG_1320.thumb.jpeg.7043c994d70cd1ffb99bb8b0d168484c.jpeg

I would bet 1.8, but you are for sure in the 1.5 to 2.0 range depending on the grader having a good day or not.  That is some nice improvement.  How much did she charge for the dry clean and press?

1 hour ago, TC33 said:

I would bet 1.8, but you are for sure in the 1.5 to 2.0 range depending on the grader having a good day or not.  That is some nice improvement.  How much did she charge for the dry clean and press?

I wouldnt put her in the clean and press category...theres lots of people in that. Shes a paper expert and does amazing work (especially for high value, low grade stuff like this). I'd ask her for rates - you can contact the Restoration Lab or https://www.facebook.com/CicconiTRL/  or https://www.therestorationlab.com/page.php?page_id=9

Edited by Ozonetv

6 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

I wouldnt put her in the clean and press category...theres lots of people in that. Shes a paper expert

Her work is amazing. Just curious though. Company name is "Restoration Lab". At what point would her work move the comic to be considered a restored book and risk the dreaded Purple label of death?

21 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Her work is amazing. Just curious though. Company name is "Restoration Lab". At what point would her work move the comic to be considered a restored book and risk the dreaded Purple label of death?

I think the name is a holdover from a bygone era....as you know, it used to be a lot more popular. But shes been doing it for so long she knows whats resto and whats not, and she stays clear of it. But believe it or not, there are collectors that still want restoration - they dont care about grading, they just want a nice looking book. 

If you have any questions, you should drop her a note - she's a great resource.

Still begs the question how much it cost to get that book worked on and pressed?  I might send her a book or two down the road if its not too crazy expensive.

when pressing it with tape can that cause additional damage but I guess in that condition it negates it as there is more going on than just a impression from the tape.