• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Collecting Hobby Pet Peeves
2 2

103 posts in this topic

I have a few. But this is one that bugs me the most.

I make an offer for a page of art to someone, and they decline the offer saying it's not enough, and then don't counter with an amount they would be willing to sell for. Not even after I ask them to. Mind you, this is for a piece they are ADVERTISING IS FOR SALE AND ARE INVITING OFFERS FOR. Not an "NFS" listing on CAF.  If you are advertising a piece is for sale, and someone makes you an offer on it - and you decline - that usually means you are supposed to respond with the amount you want to sell it for. And, negotiations ensue. If the buyer thinks its too high, they may decline to make another offer. Or, they may make another increased offer hoping to compromise and complete a deal. But, refusing to say how much you want to sell a piece for - hoping the buyer magically reads your mind, or continues to bid against himself - is kind of annoying. 

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If you are advertising a piece is for sale, and someone makes you an offer on it - and you decline - that usually means you are supposed to respond with the amount you want to sell it for.

Oh geez...such a huge assumption. There are no rules.

REPEAT: There are no rules ;)

28 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I make an offer for a page of art to someone, and they decline the offer saying it's not enough, and then don't counter with an amount they would be willing to sell for. 

Your offer could have been FMV, but Maybe your offer was so far off from the seller's asking price , that  from his perspective it did not merit a counter offer. 

7 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:
41 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I make an offer for a page of art to someone, and they decline the offer saying it's not enough, and then don't counter with an amount they would be willing to sell for. 

Your offer could have been FMV, but Maybe your offer was so far off from the seller's asking price , that  from his perspective it did not merit a counter offer. 

Exactly.  Without more facts, it's impossible to say whether the pet peeve is justified.

At the risk of starting a Coolines tangent, I really do hate that they will attach non-original stats directly to some of the art they sell. I recently purchased a cover from another collector who himself had purchased the cover from Coolines, and both the title stat and credit stats were obviously not original and had to be (very carefully) removed. I just worry that over time these fake stats might bond enough with the art that, if removed, they could potentially damage the piece. This is something no original art lover would ever want in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, CartoonFanboy said:

This is something no original art lover would ever want in my opinion.

This is OT subject matter but you are correct, what you've described is intentional damage and if we ever did end up in a droit de suite sort of place legally, the artist/heirs could lean those regs to file suit against damage to their future claims on profitable resales. Different jurisdictions have different interpretations, but that feature is often included.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

This is OT subject matter but you are correct, what you've described is intentional damage and if we ever did end up in a droit de suite sort of place legally, the artist/heirs could lean those regs to file suit against damage to their future claims on profitable resales. Different jurisdictions have different interpretations, but that feature is often included.

Well, that’s interesting.

2 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Both of those things can be true. My offer was within the FMV range, but still off his demand. But, so what? It’s not my job to figure out what his price is. I made an offer. He didn’t say “sorry. That’s insultingly low.” Come back with a number you’ll sell at. Or else don’t advertise that it’s for sale. Even Coolines tells you a price, even if it’s crazy high. 

2 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

no price listed / taking offers / please inquire = move along  :busy:

In today's :cloud9: market a piece can just as easily be marked $500 as $5000. I want to make sure it's somewhere close to my budget before moving forward. 

I’m beginning to move in that direction. But, the piece was legit within the range of my offer as far as value. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Two of my OA pet peeves are artist's who sign in the artwork and not on the border. 

Frankly, I know it's a "thorny" issue, but...any names come to mind? lol :roflmao:

Edited by delekkerste

25 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Frankly, I know it's a "thorny" issue, but...any names come to mind? lol :roflmao:

Heh. He did it too? Bummer. Especially for those that laid out five figures for his stuff. At least Xaime went back over Felix's L&R cover (at F's request of course), maybe Thorney sorts should too.

37 minutes ago, vodou said:

Heh. He did it too? Bummer. Especially for those that laid out five figures for his stuff. At least Xaime went back over Felix's L&R cover (at F's request of course), maybe Thorney sorts should too.

The cover was five figures but the red marker changed it to four figures