• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Collecting Hobby Pet Peeves
2 2

103 posts in this topic

I'll chime in with some of the same. Pieces without a price/inquire is a pass.

As someone who's only been in the hobby for about 3 years, it still boggles my mind how casual some of the reps treat their business. Like it's a side gig they'll get to when it's convenient, not keeping up with inventory, etc. I realize a lot of pieces sell themselves to an extent, but c'mon. I'd be pissed as an artist if i knew how lax my rep was being towards sales, especially with the amount of money involved. But maybe they put a higher priority on things like con appearances & travel accommodations (not sure if this is standard for rep services) 

Edited by awayne83

1 hour ago, awayne83 said:

I'll chime in with some of the same. Pieces without a price/inquire is a pass.

As someone who's only been in the hobby for about 3 years, it still boggles my mind how casual some of the reps treat their business. Like it's a side gig they'll get to when it's convenient, not keeping up with inventory, etc. I realize a lot of pieces sell themselves to an extent, but c'mon. I'd be pissed as an artist if i knew how lax my rep was being towards sales, especially with the amount of money involved. But maybe they put a higher priority on things like con appearances & travel accommodations (not sure if this is standard for rep services) 

For most art reps, this IS a side thing. At least it used to be. I think fulltime reps are becoming more common as they can concentrate more on the product than a dealer rep. But some of these reps have way too many clients to keep track of. 

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

For most art reps, this IS a side thing. At least it used to be. I think fulltime reps are becoming more common as they can concentrate more on the product than a dealer rep. But some of these reps have way too many clients to keep track of. 

That's what i don't get though. In a competitive market, why would some of the biggest names settle for armchair representation? They're basically doing the reps a favor (by allowing them a cut) in my eyes. Anyone with internet access could sell their pages lol.  

I guess what it boils down to is, as i jumped into a next level hobby (financially speaking) i expected more considering the money tossed around. It's almost like 1k, 3k or 10k has lost it's significance in regards to artwork.

I've had a few several thousand dollar orders (by different reps) mailed without tracking provided? I mean, what normal person so casually handles transactions of that sort? Another purchase, it took the rep almost 3 weeks to figure out he didn't have the piece i had already inquired about, negotiated and paid for lol.

How about some real pet peeves, stupid things that annoy you perhaps more than others.

1) Posting a piece on CAF a week after you win it on HA, reap the net karma with multiple "great piece" comments.

2) Dealers posting new pieces, already sold apparently, to their websites.

3) Getting vastly different shipping quotes from HA from week to week when the item you are purchasing is exactly the same in size and value.Why?

4) CC and CL search functions.

5) The assumption that every time a piece trades hands it has to have increased in value.

6) Paper toning, really becomes apparent when pieces are framed and shown on the same wall.

7) Dealers over stuffing their booths with art, the entire hobby is cheapened when a rummage sale approach is taken. 

8) Piece sells on HA, 7 days later piece is on major dealer's site, 1 day later it sells for 2x the HA price. Who doesn't follow HA but follows the dealer?

Edited by cstojano

27 minutes ago, cstojano said:

5) The assumption that every time a piece trades hands it has to have increased in value.

This annoys me to no end. rantrant

Only my pieces have to increase. B|

Were to start? lol

1. Having people selling art back out from a done deal. Yes, I am looking at the person who backed out of selling me a Jim Lee piece with Lady Mandarin in it.

2. Loosing art in the mail.

3. Having art that has been sold take 3+ months to get to its final destination.

4. Seeing an artist pricing before getting a rep and then seeing his new pricing with a rep.

5. Having previously purchased from a rep and asking on another purchase for more than 6 monthly installments and getting no for an answer.

6. Having artist back out from a deal.

7. Not being able to keep track of my purchases because life gets in the way.

8. Not being able to find a piece of art when I have received offers for it.

9. Not being able to purchase more art.

10. Not being able to purchase more art.

Those are some I can start thinking of my head. I'll post more as I think of them. lol 

Is this where we're at?

- Posting art to CAF and in the "for sale" status block putting SOLD!  WTF is up with that. Aside from shining a bright beacon as to what a d-bag you are, what is the point? 

- gone/sold/not forgotten CAF folders

- People upset with what someone else has paid for a commission. As long as they aren't paying with your money it doesn't matter.

greivences.png

9 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Is this where we're at?

- People upset with what someone else has paid for a commission. As long as they aren't paying with your money it doesn't matter.

Upset is not the right. Try mystified. It also has the indirect effect of encouraging overall price increases, so a little criticism is not a bad thing. 

One of the best parts of this hobby is its accessibility, and that includes pricing for original works of art. So while I think that artists really are underpaid in this profession, five figures, like for Jim Lee's pieces of illustration art is stiff.

Getting a piece of art sent to me that is so well wrapped, I am afraid to open it without accidentally damaging what is inside.

Getting art which is sent but was not wrapped in plastic protection inside the package—and is, again, so well wrapped on the outside I was accidentally afraid I might cut it (which once happened).

Art listed for sale on CAF which turns out to be a dead link. 

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Getting a piece of art sent to me that is so well wrapped, I am afraid to open it without accidentally damaging what is inside.

Getting art which is sent but was not wrapped in plastic protection inside the package—and is, again, so well wrapped on the outside I was accidentally afraid I might cut it (which once happened).

Art listed for sale on CAF which turns out to be a dead link. 

Looking at you Google image search.

Which reminds me another pet peeve, searching for a piece to find a "link" to it on Pinterest.

Edited by cstojano

24 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Looking at you Google image search.

Which reminds me another pet peeve, searching for a piece to find a "link" to it on Pinterest.

12 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

This!

Googling -pinterest used to work, meaning filtering all that out. Haven't tried it lately though, so who knows now ;)