• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA Collecting Hobby Pet Peeves
2 2

103 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I can’t agree with that. Income taxes are supposed to be based on income. If you never get the money, because it goes to pay local taxes, it leaves you with negative disposable income. And it’s not like the taxpayer has an effective choice, either (moving is not realistic for most people). The state or municipality isn’t going to lower its taxes by anything significant because of its own cost burdens. At a minimum, it should have had a long phase-in.

Lot to unpack here, I'll try to stay apolitical and hopefully not too far OT...

1. Federal taxes are based on your gross income. Deductions are gimmes the only purpose of which is to stave off pitchforks and torches. Be glad you get what you get, expect less over time. Unfortunately, very few have taken up the question: if direct taxes are unconstitutional how is there a Federal income tax? A follow-up question is if all are equal under the law, how then is there a graduated/progressive tax system? Further, if we accept that there will be federal income taxes (tough luck tax protesters!) that tax indifivuals like a business, then why aren't individuals allowed to deduct any/all reasonable expenses associated with making a profit on the business of you, such as mileage for one's commute, meal allowances, etc? After all, your lifespan (hours, days, weeks, years) is finite and precious and not to be sold cheaply, no? That is what you are exchanging for that wage, the opportunity cost being absolutely everything else you could/would be doing instead of clocking in/out on somebody else's schedule (most often and likely) doing things you wouldn't otherwise do if had a non-economic choice. You are running a self-employed contract business without the benefit of those same common business deductions.

2. You get the money. Just don't pay the taxes. (And reap the whirlwind of that decision, but why would that matter to the Federal government or the entire rest of the nation? We do still all tend to agree that personal responsibility is valuable in America, yes? Nobody put a gun to your head to live "there".) Ask CA and TX about tax migration. Ask NYC, NJ, CT and FL too. The tax migrations are regular headlines these days. Only the fools didn't see this coming and adjust ahead of the curve. We're all now in the curve. This is why I live where I live and moved here in 2016, before my former state of Taxachusetts got even more handsy with my income/wealth ;) The charts abound ranking the states with the greatest and least in the red obligations to state/local pension/healthcare promises...the math is there for all to see...the captives being the poor workers that cannot save much/any after expenses and the property owners that get depreciated on market value based on current and future expectations of property tax; it's the usual see-saw of discounting present value against future outlays.

3. You are correct - nobody is going to tell anybody that the public promises made will be broken, until the municipal bankruptcies are filed. It's going to happen (already has but there will be no end to it go forward). The End. The only question for residents is how much more will they keep paying into that black hole before they walk away instead of selling for "whatever" salvage and move away with money in their pocket to start over. I'm sorry you chose to live/work in the wrong (overpriced/overtaxed) place, but your higher than average income was supposed to soften that blow. If it didn't...time to start re-thinking the cost:benefit and how best to tilt it back in your favor! (It not what you make, it's what you keep that counts, quality of life trumping any number always on a paper statement!)

There is no long phase in for bankruptcy. All are bankrupt, the only difference between Federal and state/local is the former can run deficit budgets. The rest must balance as they cannot print their way out of debt. That raises the question though: why the Federal government doesn't eliminate all Federal taxes (and friction of 100% of IRS budget!) and print to fit spending. Same difference for everybody domestically.

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

Just to inject a small bit of reality:

The story here is that the states hurt by the SALT deduction cap are overwhelmingly net contributors to federal tax revenues, and are subsidizing the low-tax states.

That's interesting and in contrast to similar studies I've seen that were not referenced in The Atlantic ;)

I'll admit being confused by this: 3) the number of federal employees per capita. The third measure received only half the weight of each of the others in the calculation.

That moves the numbers, no doubt, but I'm not sure of it's purpose or value. Doesn't mean I disagree, I just don't understand it.

The studies I follow only look at two numbers by state: dollars sent up (state to Federal) and dollars back down (Federal to state), annually. That paints a different picture of givers and takers.

50 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t want to get into a tax debate here, but income taxes are based on net income after deductions. The reason Income taxes are legal is because when the Supreme Court said they weren’t, a Constitutional Amendment was passed which legalized it. 

:)

You are still debating. I am not.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, Brian Peck said:

Two of my OA pet peeves are artist's who sign in the artwork and not on the border. The other is inkers in a rush and using markers to fill in blacks when the rest of the artwork is done in india ink.

Amen Brian....lesson to everyone take the time to examine a piece in person. No way a india inked page swallowed by black sharpie looks as good as all proper inking. Like painting a house with $500 a can satin than using crayon to color in the base boards. Ask questions when buying online because scans can be deceptive.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, awayne83 said:

That's what i don't get though. In a competitive market, why would some of the biggest names settle for armchair representation? They're basically doing the reps a favor (by allowing them a cut) in my eyes. Anyone with internet access could sell their pages lol.  

I guess what it boils down to is, as i jumped into a next level hobby (financially speaking) i expected more considering the money tossed around. It's almost like 1k, 3k or 10k has lost it's significance in regards to artwork.

I've had a few several thousand dollar orders (by different reps) mailed without tracking provided? I mean, what normal person so casually handles transactions of that sort? Another purchase, it took the rep almost 3 weeks to figure out he didn't have the piece i had already inquired about, negotiated and paid for lol.

"Another purchase, it took the rep almost 3 weeks to figure out he didn't have the piece i had already inquired about, negotiated and paid for lol."     Please feel free to out this beauty so I can avoid dealing with them. Buffoon!

On 9/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bill C said:

Hmm. Not a pet peeve of mine, but I'm curious if other people get upset at perceived hoarders of runs. I thought I may have heard some people were miffed at Mike B. for having lots of Romita Spidey, for example.

I'ts a mixed bag. Sure it's natural to be frustrated with Mike for hoarding Romita. On the flip side you have to admire his dedication to doing so. He was ahead of his time. So the answer is, yes. Mike because of you I bid $10,000 on a 3 panel strip...(12k BP) not to mention the CA sales tax that was coming and IT STILL WASN'T ENOUGH TO WIN.

Not saying Mike was the winner. Just saying his hoarding and my insanity going against another bidder.....

On 9/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, NicoV said:

Pet peeve? People who create a new topic in the "Original Comic Art Marketplace" section, called something like "art for sale" (ok so I have to open it if I want to have any idea of what you're selling?), with just a link to a CAF section (ok so I have to open TWO PAGES, probably to discover that you're selling commissions and pages I've no interest in? seriously?).

If you're selling some stuff, it's not so long to add a few keywords / artists names in your topic title...

OMG, this X1000

If it's a commission, say so.  Unpublished, say so.

Edited by KPR Comics

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

When you're spending that much, always pay for the shipping yourself and always send them a shipping box and FedEX Express label with Signature Required.

20 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

Buying direct from a top artist.

For when the art is not a sheet of paper...

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17580/Artwork-Shippers/17-x-22-1-2-x-3-350-lb-Deluxe-Artwork-Shipper

On 9/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, glendgold said:

1. No matter how much I collect, I am still going to die. 

I've been thinking about this deeply, and I have to agree that this is my pet peeve too....

No matter how much I collect, Glen's still going to die.