• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going rates on being a noob on the boards
2 2

221 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I didn't try to procure likes but I imagine a few people agree with me.  I took the point of your thread to be jokingly asking "what makes a noob worthy of respect" or something to that effect. I tried to provide an answer.  

No

You mocked me.

And it was partially in jest.

But some of the threads I make actually have a point behind them, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong about something.

Collectors should be helping noobs feel welcomed on the site.

For me personally it's not even about feeling welcomed on this site, its learning social cues, what to say, how to react and how to respond.

I come from an environment where there is alot more reaction than there is responding, but this thread was not about me or my post count, it was about the window in which a newcomer transitions into a welcomed member of the team.

17 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm pretty sure CC is taking some voluntary , self imposed time off to re-evaluate things around here ......

I don't know if it is voluntary.  Very few times over the years have I seen the mods facepalm a post. 

Actually... I don't ever remember a time when a mod facepalmed a post. 

Edited by Buzzetta

12 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Deep breath....

The entire point of this thread was to put in question what it meant to be a noob, and how long a person was considered a noob

It wasnt posted because I needed advice or direction from people or appease the almighty intellect of these two.

@Mystafo

@Logan510

There are most likely alot of collectors who have probably amassed great collections that don't even come on the site because they cannot be bothered to interact with people who sit behind a keyboard and fancy themselves better than other people.

This is called a "chat" board, not a remain silent board. I could give two :censored: what you two think of me. To be perfectly honest if you don't like someone than stay away from them.

I am not on this site to make you happy, matter of fact I probably wouldnt acknowledge you if you were directly in front of me, I don't respond to your posts because to be perfectly honest I don't really care.

I don't see the point of trying to come on my thread and try to procure likes for yourself like you are the Wizard of Oz.

There is alot of good people on this site, alot of good people who do not get along with other good people, but that in no way shape or form means they are any less than anyone else on this site.

I would put a question mark after a sentence if it's being posed as a question.

wasn't*
a lot* (multiple instances)
couldn't give*
then*
happy. As a matter of fact*
wouldn't*
way, shape, or form*

10 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

No

You mocked me.

And it was partially in jest.

But some of the threads I make actually have a point behind them, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong about something.

Collectors should be helping noobs feel welcomed on the site.

For me personally it's not even about feeling welcomed on this site, its learning social cues, what to say, how to react and how to respond.

I come from an environment where there is alot more reaction than there is responding, but this thread was not about me or my post count, it was about the window in which a newcomer transitions into a welcomed member of the team.

To be fair to everyone else - you infer a lot of emotions or other implications that simply aren't being conveyed.

You act and post as though people aren't welcome. That is 100% false. I'm a n00b, and outside of a choice few, have received nothing outside of open arms.

You attract and receive specific attention because you spam and bloviate. There's a saying around here about "reading (and thinking) before posting". You've failed to do that. I was lurking for about 2 years before creating an account. I didn't post much for about another year. I learned most of the ways of the boards.

If you kept your posts informative rather than pointless, you'd receive and infer completely different attitudes from everyone. What are you contributing to the hobby? While this is a Chat Board, it's also hosted for and by comic book people. Creating meaningless spam threads does nothing to elevate the hobby, information, or other people's minds about the subject.

No one cares who is a n00b. The topic of this thread ultimately serves no purpose. It's not informative and doesn't drive relative discussion (as seen by 4 pages of unrelated drek responses). Use your filter in the future to help you decide if a topic or post serves any purpose.

23 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be fair to everyone else - you infer a lot of emotions or other implications that simply aren't being conveyed.

You act and post as though people aren't welcome. That is 100% false. I'm a n00b, and outside of a choice few, have received nothing outside of open arms.

You attract and receive specific attention because you spam and bloviate. There's a saying around here about "reading (and thinking) before posting". You've failed to do that. I was lurking for about 2 years before creating an account. I didn't post much for about another year. I learned most of the ways of the boards.

If you kept your posts informative rather than pointless, you'd receive and infer completely different attitudes from everyone. What are you contributing to the hobby? While this is a Chat Board, it's also hosted for and by comic book people. Creating meaningless spam threads does nothing to elevate the hobby, information, or other people's minds about the subject.

No one cares who is a n00b. The topic of this thread ultimately serves no purpose. It's not informative and doesn't drive relative discussion (as seen by 4 pages of unrelated drek responses). Use your filter in the future to help you decide if a topic or post serves any purpose.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't asking for it, but thanks(thumbsu

Edited by Hollywood1892

27 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I was lurking for about 2 years before creating an account. I didn't post much for about another year. I learned most of the ways of the boards.

:facepalm: Do you read what you type?

By what your saying is you joined the boards and didn't post much in your first year, and you have over 6000 posts in 2 years, so let's say you made 1000 posts in the first year, that leaves you with 5500 in the second year, meaning you average the same amount of posts as me.

Edited by Hollywood1892

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Read above post

I actually contribute to the hobby. About half of my posts are in the PGM sub-forum. I don't spam or bloviate. 95% of my posts are subject-relative.

There's a massive difference in quality of posts between you and I. That is why post count doesn't matter. There are users with 10% of your post count with 9000% better content.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I actually contribute to the hobby. About half of my posts are in the PGM sub-forum. I don't spam or bloviate. 95% of my posts are subject-relative.

There's a massive difference in quality of posts between you and I. That is why post count doesn't matter. There are users with 10% of your post count with 9000% better content.

I do not care.