• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going rates on being a noob on the boards
2 2

221 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Foley said:

This post checks out. lol 

Granted, I’m more of a Dead Head but also a fan of Phish. :baiting:

I can tolerate the Dead to a degree, but when someone asks me who I think the worst band ever is my default is Phish. :sick:

18 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I can tolerate the Dead to a degree, but when someone asks me who I think the worst band ever is my default is Phish. :sick:

To be fair, I was VERY impressed by the current incarnation of Dead and Company.  I never appreciated the musicianship of John Mayer until I saw his performances with the band. Each concert is basically a masterclass in how to play guitar.  Mayer is quite skilled and someone I should not have so easily dismissed when he was getting popular. 

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

Phish is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000x better than the Dave Mathews band

There are a couple of DMB songs that I like but they are usually live and featuring guest appearances with other artists. 

That 30 minute #41 comes to mind as they performed in Ottowa for that song with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones... 

That turned out to be more of Bela Fleck featuring Dave Matthews thing than a DMB featuring Bela Fleck thing. 

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I don't like Dave Mathews either, but I would sit at a 4 hour DMB concert before listening to just a single Phish song.

And that's with Hootie & the Blowfish as the opening band.

22 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
30 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I don't like Dave Mathews either, but I would sit at a 4 hour DMB concert before listening to just a single Phish song.

And that's with Hootie & the Blowfish as the opening band.

Like some foods, art, or other activities, some music can really ONLY BE BEST APPRECIATED when accompanied by some specific accoutrements and in specific environments, I would argue that Phish, DMB, and to a lesser extent the Grateful Dead fall into those categories. And in some cases, like the Beatles White Album, a lack of said specific accoutrements makes the experience unbearable. 

Music can in some cases objectively be good or bad, and I understand that everyone has their tastes, but I do think there's something to be said for attempting to appreciate how/when/where some art was specifically meant to be enjoyed, whether its alone with a nice bottle of scotch in your study, a European disco, EDC on E, on the lawn at a 3-day music festival, hipster bar, Irish pub, and also the various stages in your life, etc.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

Like some foods, art, or other activities, some music can really ONLY BE BEST APPRECIATED when accompanied by some specific accoutrements and in specific environments, I would argue that Phish, DMB, and to a lesser extent the Grateful Dead fall into those categories. And in some cases, like the Beatles White Album, a lack of said specific accoutrements makes the experience unbearable. 

Music can in some cases objectively be good or bad, and I understand that everyone has their tastes, but I do think there's something to be said for attempting to appreciate how/when/where some art was specifically meant to be enjoyed, whether its alone with a nice bottle of scotch in your study, a European disco, EDC on E, on the lawn at a 3-day music festival, hipster bar, Irish pub, and also the various stages in your life, etc.

I couldn't agree more

After sex I like listening to Type O Negative "Christian Women" it really sets the mood

If any of you have listened to it than you would understand 

25 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I couldn't agree more

After sex I like listening to Type O Negative "Christian Women" it really sets the mood

Way too much information. 

Also, everyone know that Yanni “Live at the Acropolis” is better in that scenario. 

27 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I couldn't agree more

"Move B** get out da way" by Ludacris lol 

To answer @Hollywood1892 question of when someone stops being a noob: 

I dont think that ever really happens.. We all are constantly learning.. I am sure even the more experienced people as well... many veterans dont know much about certain genre's etc... there is always something to learn. So I would say we will all always be a noobs in some way or another even in the hobby. :foryou: