• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Marketplace Memories
4 4

134 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Some old photos of current boardies from the magazine. I doubt any would mind because they were published in CBM anyway. These were all SDCC shots from an article on the 1997 SDCC. Even though I was at all these shows, it was always fun to see dealer shots and reviews on the con. A few of them have sadly passed on to the great comic con in the sky...:sorry:

bedrockSDCC1997.jpg

garycoddingtonSDCC1997.jpg

redbeardSDCC1997.jpg

stevecareySDCC1997.jpg

Thanks RM!

Could you add names to those faces? I recognize the Tall Texan, but who are all the others?

I can help out a little. I recognize faces but the passage of time has erased some names sadly.

Perhaps, some boardies with better memories can fill in the rest. 

Top photo: 2nd from the left, a legend in his own time and a rather dashing guy even now, Richard (Mr Bedrock) Evans. Don’t remember the other guys.

2nd photo: The guy 3rd from the left is my old buddy Gary Coddington. The two guys to his left are old dealers I believe but can’t remember. Don’t know the kid. 

3rd photo: Easy, Ritchie Halgua on the left and Redbeard on the right. Great guys. Still keep in contact with him and John Knight (not pictured). We had a lot of good times and still do when we get together. Look at that piece of art Redbeard is holding. One of my favorite Strange Adventures covers. Man, Ritchie had vision and Great art!

4th photo: The guy on the left has been outed. Guy on the right, not sure.

Hopefully, some of these guys will see this and fill in the blanks. 

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can help out a little. I recognize faces but the passage of time has erased some names sadly.

Perhaps, some boardies with better memories can fill in the rest. 

Top photo: 2nd from the left, a legend in his own time and a rather dashing guy even now, Richard (Mr Bedrock) Evans. Don’t remember the other guys.

(Stephen Fears from Oklahoma, yours truly, Joe Smejkal, ?)

2nd photo: The guy 3rd from the left is my old buddy Gary Coddington. The two guys to his left are old dealers I believe but can’t remember. Don’t know the kid. 

(the second from the right is Michael Naiman)

3rd photo: Easy, Ritchie Halgua on the left and Redbeard on the right. Great guys. Still keep in contact with him and John Knight (not pictured). We had a lot of good times and still do when we get together. Look at that piece of art Redbeard is holding. One of my favorite Strange Adventures covers. Man, Ritchie had vision and Great art!

4th photo: The guy on the left has been outed. Guy on the right, not sure.

(Steve Carey and Joe Dungan)

Hopefully, some of these guys will see this and fill in the blanks. 

Spent some time talking with Scott McAdam at the Silicon Valley Comic Con about his old market reports and remembering how he wrote in one that given all the time he'd spent studying comics, he had a doctorate in comicsology or something like that.

I was happy to support the magazine the last two years with ads, though they were a pretty unsuccessful use of marketing dollars.

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

(the second from the right is Michael Naiman)

Middle guys are Naiman and Greg Pharis, former comic book store owner in San Diego

I loved and read every issue.  Looked forward to it each month.  And I want to echo the sentiments about Keith.  One of the great dealers and a great guy to work with, and talk to.  I’d say he was at least 1.24456% better than the other dealers. 

im sure many of you all get the joke!

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I loved and read every issue.  Looked forward to it each month.  And I want to echo the sentiments about Keith.  One of the great dealers and a great guy to work with, and talk to.  I’d say he was at least 1.24456% better than the other dealers. 

im sure many of you all get the joke!

I don't get the joke...(shrug)

In all of his detailed market reports in CBM and elsewhere he’d always detail the increases above Guide for each record sale... down to the ‘4th’ decimal place.  I’d tease him about it.  It’s like you ask some one What time is it? And instead of 10:30, or 10:20, they’d tell you 10: 22: and 37.2 seconds. 

7 hours ago, mlansdown said:

I read this thread last year, and it inspired me to start buying these magazines.  I'm glad I did - tons of good information.  I really like the market reports from 20+ years ago:  everyone lamenting about the high prices and how the market is just too high. :)

I have been filling in he holes in my run of these mags lately too.  The first issue I bought was 18 or 19, must have been a few years after I'd stopped actively collecting, and then I picked it back up and bought a bunch of issues when I started to get back into it.  I've been buying a run of comics lately solely because of an article in an old CBM.

7 minutes ago, buttock said:

It was entirely editorial.

When Gary Carter was the editor it was the ONLY item on my monthly order form. Hard to believe if it was a big financial success Gary Would have walked away. Plus the transition between editors wasn’t seamless indicating that Russ came in after the decision was made to stop printing?  Russ Cochran basically used it as a marketing tool for his love of strips and reprints.  Not nearly as cool as stories about the early days of comics/fandom/collecting that Gary and his writers were so good at fleshing out imho. Plus the market trends were awesome early on. I’m missing a 3 from my collection also. 

7 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

When Gary Carter was the editor it was the ONLY item on my monthly order form. Hard to believe if it was a big financial success Gary Would have walked away. Plus the transition between editors wasn’t seamless indicating that Russ came in after the decision was made to stop printing?  Russ Cochran basically used it as a marketing tool for his love of strips and reprints.  Not nearly as cool as stories about the early days of comics/fandom/collecting that Gary and his writers were so good at fleshing out imho. Plus the market trends were awesome early on. I’m missing a 3 from my collection also. 

Yup.  When you take a magazine about comics and make it not about comics then people who like comics won't buy it.  

On 9/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, lou_fine said:
On 9/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, thehumantorch said:

Love the mag and was very disappointed when it ceased publishing

Sadly, I had the exact opposite feeling as I simply couldn't wait for the mag to end its long awaited death.  Especially with rspect to the direction that Russ had taken the once great fan magazine and turned it into his own personal soapbox which virtually nobpdy had anymore interest in by the end.  :mad:  :censored:

I agree. He seemed to forget that he was producing a magazine for comic book fans and not a magazine for himself. It really was a shadow of itself after Gary left.