• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Marketplace Memories
4 4

134 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

What issue did Russ take over on?

I believe Russ started as editor of CBM with issue #84 (August 2001)

Comic Book Marketplace's "Jump The Shark" moment:

"Hey look at Galactus, that little bald guy on the cover of FF48!" doh!

image.png.1b1c05bd1064ff4ad80c4da4ad6c95da.png

Edited by DanCooper

21 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Thanks.  I have 3 issues higher than #84.  I'll have to look at them again and see what Russ did to the magazine...:whatthe:

36 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

It's been a long time so maybe I'm remembering wrong but I think he even mocked Kirby's cover art here, thinking The Watcher (Galactus) was a regular sized person but just drawn with horrible perspective.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, adamstrange said:
On 9/17/2019 at 2:40 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Starting with paragraph 3 it is interesting that the same concerns I hear lately were stated back then and yet the comic market has only continued to grow in all that time.  

There are similar sentiments expressed in Rocket's Blast Comic Collector.  From the 1970s.

Which is why I've always discounted all the prophets of doom, because I've been hearing them for 5 decades.

Also why I laugh when I hear people say that if they could've just been born 10/20/30 years earlier, they would've loaded up on a ton of fantastic comics because they would've seemed cheap.  Comics never seem cheap at any given moment in time, only in hindsight as the result of rising prices.  They may have been more affordable (e.g., as a percentage of average income), but that's not the same as cheap.  The only time a comic is genuinely cheap at a given moment in time is because it's mispriced, either through an error or the seller doesn't understand the value of the book, and then it gets snapped up immediately.    

There was a Pasadena comic show sometime in the early nineties. I remember it for three reasons:

I got to meet Gary Coddington who was a big Superman and Duck collector.

I foolishly didn't buy a nice copy of Superman #76 for $175. the first Superman Batman team up.

Gary Carter was walking around looking for Golden Age collectors and handing out free promo copies of his Comic Book Marketplace!!

Wish I'd kept that early issue; I think I started subscribing in the twenties or so and loved it.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, buttock said:
On 10/22/2020 at 9:18 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

It's funny how we collect old paper, but we couldn't keep supporting a great magazine once the Internet took over...:whatthe:

Internet had nothing to do with the demise of this magazine.  It was entirely editorial.  

Most definitely and the best issues by far were the very early ones done by Gary and Lisa Carter before they fell under the Diamond umbrella.  :luhv:

The best issue by far in the post CBM 20 run after Diamond took it over was issue #32 which was the Pedigree issue and pretty much as close as collectors will get to ever seeing the long awaited Pedigree book.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

On 10/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, sfcityduck said:

I have been filling in he holes in my run of these mags lately too.  The first issue I bought was 18 or 19, must have been a few years after I'd stopped actively collecting, and then I picked it back up and bought a bunch of issues when I started to get back into it.  I've been buying a run of comics lately solely because of an article in an old CBM.

I remember starting up with issue #2 and then calling up Gary to sign up for an subscription to his CBM mag.  Told him that I started my GA collecting with some pre-herio DC books a few years earlier after reading and rereading his DC Before Superman article over the years from one of the Overstreet guides back in the early 80's.  Needless to say, I was totally ecstatic when I received a complimentary copy of the HTF CBM #1 in my mailbox from him a couple weeks later, especially when he had told me that the first issue was already a complete sell-out and no longer available anywhere that he was aware of.  :applause:  

I definitely remember checking my mailbox every day back then for the latest issue to arrive and once it did, I would read it from cover to cover as it was definitely the go to fan mag for true comic collectors back then when it first started up.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely and the best issues by far were the very early ones done by Gary and Lisa Carter before they fell under the Diamond umbrella.  :luhv:

The best issue by far in the post CBM 20 run after Diamond took it over was issue #32 which was the Pedigree issue and pretty much as close as collectors will get to ever seeing the long awaited Pedigree book.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

#32...

1986283999_CBM32.thumb.jpg.a1b3b3e6d655c8f50cd7fcd3bf5da330.jpg

On 10/24/2020 at 12:09 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Here's a photo of Gary (center) with Fred Guardineer, Vin Sullivan, Jon Berk and a couple of GA Boardies.

10-25-2007 08;38;21PM.JPG

I believe this was from the CBM dinner at one of the SD Cons in the mid-90's  to honor the early GA DC creators from the 30's and 40's.  (thumbsu

I remember they did up one of the CBM issues with a special all-white cover which many of the fams got the creators to sign as this sadly turn out to be the last time so many of them were all together in one event.  What made the whole evening even more special for me was that I got to sit down right next to Joe Smejkal who delighted me with some of his collecting stories and even showed me a few of his HG HTF Hawkeye pedigree books. :applause:  :cloud9:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe this was from the CBM dinner at one of the SD Cons in the mid-90's  to honor the early GA DC creators from the 30's and 40's.  (thumbsu

I remember they did up one of the CBM issues with a special all-white cover which many of the fams got the creators to sign as this sadly turn out to be the last time so many of them were all together in one event.  What made the whole evening even more special for me was that I got to sit down right next to Joe Smejkal who delighted me with some of his collecting stories and even showed me a few of his HG HTF Hawkeye pedigree books. :applause:  :cloud9:

Are you in this pic?

im glad to see you back on the boards, @lou_fine. Have you been on vacation? I was about to PM you to ask, but here you are

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Are you in this pic?

NO, no ugly mug shots in that picture there.  :wink:

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

im glad to see you back on the boards, @lou_fine. Have you been on vacation? I was about to PM you to ask, but here you are

Yes, I was on another one of my *ahem* "re-education vacations" for 2 fun weeks courtesy of the Thought Police squad as mentioned in the CC thread if you hit the arrow in this link here:

tenor.gif.49920565ed6a60db180049806521b65c.gif

:mad:  :censored:  lol

Edited by lou_fine