• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Marketplace Memories
4 4

134 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2020 at 1:26 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe this was from the CBM dinner at one of the SD Cons in the mid-90's  to honor the early GA DC creators from the 30's and 40's.  (thumbsu

I remember they did up one of the CBM issues with a special all-white cover which many of the fams got the creators to sign as this sadly turn out to be the last time so many of them were all together in one event.  What made the whole evening even more special for me was that I got to sit down right next to Joe Smejkal who delighted me with some of his collecting stories and even showed me a few of his HG HTF Hawkeye pedigree books. :applause:  :cloud9:

Here is the white cover special edition of CBM #61 that was given to attendees of the dinner for the American Association of Comicbook Collectors at the San Diego Comic-Con in 1998. John Severin was the guest of honor. Inside the cover was was the Stan Lee edition, CBM #61. I think they did this for several years in the '90s.

Scan_0010.jpg

CBM 61.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, lou_fine said:

The first 15 issues were the absolute best of the entire CBM run as they had cover features and articles on topics such as The First 1,000 Comic Books, 50 Rarest Golden Age books, Alex Schomburg, Lou Fine, Centuar Comics, Edgar Church 4-issue run, Relative Scarcity and Demand for specific DC SA runs, etc.  Needless to say, it was an absolute treasure trove of information at the time and an absolute must read for any true collector of comic books.  I basically started subscribing with Issue #2 and Gary Carter was then nice enough to send me a complimentary copy of Issue #1 in order for me not to have missed anything.  :applause:  :luhv:

I still go back and refer to Issue #32 which is known as The Pedigree Issue as it had articles on several of the more established GA pedigrees at the time.  I guess it's actually the closest that we will get to having the Pedigree Book itself if it ever does come out.  lol  :taptaptap:

The CBM magazine definitely did not have the same fan feel to it after it was taken over by Geppi and became a more slick magazine starting with Issue #22.   Near the end, it was unfortunately not even a shadow of its former self once Russ Cochran took over the magazine and drove all of the fans away with his inane topics until it finally got cancelled.  :mad:  :censored:

I agree the first issues were definitely the best! I knew Eric Andresen, who contributed several articles to the early editions, from my college days at the University of Arizona where he had a cartoon strip in the school newsletter. I still found some good things in the later editions, as well. I liked the sets of Gerber White Space Stickers they published in four or five of the later issues. They featured some of the covers Ernie Gerber had been unable to find for his Photo Journals. Here is the set from CBM Special Edition #4.

Gerber White Space Stickers.jpg

17 minutes ago, David Stone said:

Here is another, even more elusive issue - the first Publisher's Presentation Volume. These were bound copies of the first 13 issues of CBM that were presented to contributors by Gary Carter. Only 25 sets were bound and presented in September 1992, This one is #22 of 25.

CBM Publisher's Presentation Set.jpg

Neat items, thanks for sharing them!

48 minutes ago, David Stone said:

Here is another, even more elusive issue - the first Publisher's Presentation Volume. These were bound copies of the first 13 issues of CBM that were presented to contributors by Gary Carter. Only 25 sets were bound and presented in September 1992, This one is #22 of 25.

CBM Publisher's Presentation Set.jpg

I'm guessing @Pat Calhoun has one of those.  He wrote a bunch of great articles for CBM.