• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA Comic Art Show on Sunday November 10, 2019 in Los Angeles

74 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Any sales?

I didn’t hear of any major sales (not to say they didn’t happen) but I did see folks walk away with a few vintage pieces.

I did have a small small chat with a first time collector who wanted to jump head first with a BWS Conan. He was so green that I, of all people, gave him a little guidance (as I furtively folded Gene’s market report and tucked it in my back pocket.) Based on the scientific study of looks and appearances, It may be that a pool of younger boomers may be ready to jump in the fray. 

I also saw a younger Gen-Xer buy his first Kirby, albeit budget Kirby. 

Mignola sketches sold well, but not sold out. He had covers (priced $6k-$8k). Says he doesn’t like schlepping that big portfolio to busy shows but will for small ones. 

Good turn out. Very busy. Lots of good art for sale not on the internet.... but those “A” pages still tucked away somewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Mickey7 said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted pics!  Does anyone know if Saul has an online presence?  I don't recall ever seeing him at a Midwest show that I would attend.  

He does not have an online presence and doesn’t do “many shows” in his words. There are two art shows in LA and that’s probably about it. 

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Any sales?

I saw things move between 2 K - 5 K

Many trades and what if scenarios. Collector Wallets were tight surprise surprise for upcoming HA auction. I picked up so much intel and chatter on targets at HA. People are nuts over the selection and quality.

Its a win for the dealers. There were very nice things that walked in from experienced and inexperienced art possessors. One year I have to get a booth and just see what walks up to me. Cut the middle men out.

2 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted pics!  Does anyone know if Saul has an online presence?  I don't recall ever seeing him at a Midwest show that I would attend.  

Saul has a CAF presence with a few personal collection pieces. You can probably ask him for anything you saw pics of or wondering if he has.

Saul Zimmerman. CAF comic art fans

best

grapeape

I exhibited at the show, but so many nice people had (prior to the show) and have (during and after the show) been asking me what I brought for sale, I decided to post them online

I'm now building a CAF GALLERY dedicated to Original Artwork "FOR SALE" here's the web-link: https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=158419  Right now I'm going alphabetical by artist from A to Z then will add updates whenever I get a chance.  I hope, by the end of the week to have about 300 pieces up. 

Feel free to check it out now or periodically. 

Thanks!  

2 hours ago, Stat Monsters said:

I exhibited at the show, but so many nice people had (prior to the show) and have (during and after the show) been asking me what I brought for sale, I decided to post them online

I'm now building a CAF GALLERY dedicated to Original Artwork "FOR SALE" here's the web-link: https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=158419  Right now I'm going alphabetical by artist from A to Z then will add updates whenever I get a chance.  I hope, by the end of the week to have about 300 pieces up. 

Feel free to check it out now or periodically. 

Thanks!  

You had a lot of art with you. How did you do moving stuff? Would you set up again?

10 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

You had a lot of art with you. How did you do moving stuff? Would you set up again?

I'm not sure if I'd exhibit again or not, it's contingent on the date, since I'm not an art dealer in the traditional sense, more of that old school style convention exhibitor of a collector selling stuff to turn around and buy other stuff.

The show definitely needs a diverse range of art vendors and in turn, needs outreach to drive qualified leads (buyers) into the show that'll spend more money.  It's a catch-22 in regards to buyers and sellers for this show.  I think I have a sense on the right formula to make it a win-win for the show's (and it's exhibitors) and buyers who invest the time and attendance fee to come to a show like this that wants to spend money but just needs to find the right pieces at the right price.

2 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

The leading indicator that I'm keeping an eye on to chart the health of the comic and comic art market is Pink Floyd The Wall t-shirt sales. When that drops off, the end is nigh.

It’s as reliable an indicator as anything I could think of.