• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two signatures but only one verified by CGC?

9 posts in this topic

I'm kinda new at comic grading and would like some opinions..

So I have a Lady Death #1, signed by Steven Hughes back in 1994 at a convention with a COA. I want to also have the book signed by Brian Polido at NYCC as a signature series. So what I dont know is how will that be graded by CGC, still a Yellow label or a green label and would it be worth it? Any opinions/input would be appreciated! Thanks....

Edited by Ronirain
Spelling correction

You would get the "Signature Series Qualified Label (Yellow/Green)." More information can be found on the CGC Labels page.

As for if it's worth it only you can answer that - if I was in your shoes the questions you should ask yourself are:

• Why do you want this particular copy signed?
  • Can you find an unsigned copy in the grade you want that will prevent a yellow/green label?
  • Are copies that have a green or yellow/green label selling on eBay? Are you going to sell the book, or keep it for your personal collection?
Edited by austinhg
Answered 2nd question.

'worth it' is fairly subjective, and depends on many factors, in this case the grade almost certainly being the most significant factor.  Other factors include: Luck, appearance of one or more signatures (and the book overall independent of grade), all the costs you've put in, the revenues you expect generate depending on your expected grade, the venue which you hope to sell, taxes, your collection goals and preferences, your profit goals and preferences, your opportunity cost of time and money tied up.  Also important is how much you can sell the comic for now as is (or other personal value).

So no one else can make that judgment for you, most of the stuff mentioned above including total costs and ROI preferences is all stuff you have to figure out for yourself.  The HARDEST part to gauge for you, and thus the part that others MIGHT be able to help you with, is "What might this sell for in this specific grade?" 

So my suggestion is to post a few pictures, and then ask "What do you think this will sell for with CGC SS Green label and why? I estimate the grade to be XXXX."  Then you plug THAT number  into the long equation you've created for yourself.

There might be a MORE obvious binary answer someone could give you, but based on the information provided, this is where we're at.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, austinhg said:

You would get the "Signature Series Qualified Label (Yellow/Green)." More information can be found on the CGC Labels page.

As for if it's worth it only you can answer that - if I was in your shoes the questions you should ask yourself are:

• Why do you want this particular copy signed?
  • Can you find an unsigned copy in the grade you want that will prevent a yellow/green label?
  • Are copies that have a green or yellow/green label selling on eBay? Are you going to sell the book, or keep it for your personal collection?

Thanks for both replies!...

Yeah I guess that "would it be worth it" is more of a personal opinion. Ive been collecting comics since the mid 80's every book ive ever purchased was either read and put right in a bag and board or just put in a bag and board so they're all in extremely good condition. As far as selling, I have never gotten rid of a single comic (hoarder tendencies lol) and there's just something about having "MY"" book getting graded that's gratifying. Heading to NYCC in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to having my second batch of books graded. And possibly signed as well.. 

Thank you for the input! I realize that maybe I should put a little deeper thought into which books I get graded.

1 hour ago, Ronirain said:

Thanks for both replies!...

Yeah I guess that "would it be worth it" is more of a personal opinion. Ive been collecting comics since the mid 80's every book ive ever purchased was either read and put right in a bag and board or just put in a bag and board so they're all in extremely good condition. As far as selling, I have never gotten rid of a single comic (hoarder tendencies lol) and there's just something about having "MY"" book getting graded that's gratifying. Heading to NYCC in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to having my second batch of books graded. And possibly signed as well.. 

Thank you for the input! I realize that maybe I should put a little deeper thought into which books I get graded.

Have fun! Wish you the best! 

Let us know how it goes :)

New York can intimidate me as I've never been lol

will be a NYCC thread about it in comics general I'm sure, so take some pics for us!! ^^

I thought Hughes was a very underrated artist, and would have loved to have seen him move on to DC or Marvel characters, like soooo many of the late 80s/early 90s indie artists have done (Tucci, Linsner, A. Hughes, Lim, Jim Lee, Platt, Keown all got their start in indie books.)

Huges was a great artist and im thinking I also will gladly take a "Grellow" label as you put it! Lol Would Love to get a Keown signature! My favorite Hulk artist and I loved PITT but I don't think he makes his way around my area?