• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verified File Copies

60 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Anyone have a list of CGC verified File copies ? 

There's a list?

I have seen the notation "file copy" put on some surprising publishers.  Not just Dell, Gold Key, Harvey, Whitman, Eastern Color, Random House, but also underground publishers like (Apex Novelties, The Conspiracy, etc.), giveaways like Firestone and KK Publications, and even some publishers of classic GA like Centaur. Lev Gleason, etc.

And its also used for publisher/owner copies like "Gaines File Copy" and "Dave Sim File Copy."

And, of course, there's the creator associated pedigrees masquerading as file copies like the "Stan Lee File Copy," "Murphy Anderson File Copy,"  "Crowley Copy/File Copy", "Edgar Rice Burroughs File Copy," etc.

I'd love to see the list.  Even better, I'd love to know the story on the discovery of the publisher files that yielded some of these.

30 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

There's a list?

I have seen the notation "file copy" put on some surprising publishers.  Not just Dell, Gold Key, Harvey, Whitman, Eastern Color, Random House, but also underground publishers like (Apex Novelties, The Conspiracy, etc.), giveaways like Firestone and KK Publications, and even some publishers of classic GA like Centaur. Lev Gleason, etc.

And its also used for publisher/owner copies like "Gaines File Copy" and "Dave Sim File Copy."

And, of course, there's the creator associated pedigrees masquerading as file copies like the "Stan Lee File Copy," "Murphy Anderson File Copy,"  "Crowley Copy/File Copy", "Edgar Rice Burroughs File Copy," etc.

I'd love to see the list.  Even better, I'd love to know the story on the discovery of the publisher files that yielded some of these.

Don't forget the Danny Dupcak "File Copies"...

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

There's a list?

Maybe “ list “ is the wrong word. What have to seen on a cgc label is more accurate. Anyone see a CGG Marvel or DC Archives /  File copy ? 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Maybe “ list “ is the wrong word. What have to seen on a cgc label is more accurate. Anyone see a CGG Marvel or DC Archives /  File copy ? 

I have seen DC and Atlas CGC file copies which I pointed out to Strawman and he bought.  They are discussed on Strawman's GA thread.

IMG_4062.PNG

uncannytales25.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I have seen DC and Atlas CGC file copies which I pointed out to Strawman and he bought.  They are discussed on Strawman's GA thread.

IMG_4062.PNG

uncannytales25.jpg

Very cool !  Thanks.  First time I’ve seen a CGC DC or Atlas Archive 0r File copy. Is there a difference between the Publisher Archive Copy and File Copy ? Ever seen a Marvel or Timely certified copy ? 

Edited by Chicago Boy

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Very cool !  Thanks.  First time I’ve seen a CGC DC or Atlas Archive 0r File copy. Is there a difference between the Publisher Archive Copy and File Copy ? Ever seen a Marvel or Timely certified copy ? 

"Archive copy"?  Never seen one.  

DC does have an archive though.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

"Archive copy"?  Never seen one.  

DC does have an archive though.

I have a Voldy certified archive book from DC but I’ve always called it a “ file copy”.  Didn’t dawn on me that the terms weren’t interchangeable and the books used as resources in both cases  ?  I’ve seen videos of the DC library so I assume that is their archive. 

Just now, Chicago Boy said:

I have a Voldy certified archive book from DC but I’ve always called it a “ file copy”.  Didn’t dawn on me that the terms weren’t interchangeable and the books used as resources in both cases  ?  I’ve seen videos of the DC library so I assume that is their archive. 

I'd guess that CGC and its competitor just use different names for the same thing and CGC's "file copy" is its competitors "archive copy."  But, I could be wrong.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, sfcityduck said:

There's a list?

To anyone outside comics, the words "file copy" would not imply great condition.  It only took on that presumed meaning because some early finds of comic book file copies were also in great condition, and thus some collectors are prone to outrage if the words "file copy" are used on a book which was kept for reference but wasn't kept in great condition.   I would not look at a Murphy Anderson book with tire tracks on the cover and a chunk torn away and think "oh it's a pedigree and a file copy, so it must be high grade no matter what my eyes tell me."  Some collectors appear to have great concern about that, but I just don't see it happening.

However, when the words "file copy" are used for books that were actually unsold stock in a warehouse, I see plenty of potential for confusion because the words "file copy" implies a very limited number, such as what copies might be kept in, you know, a file cabinet -- as opposed to being stacked on a pallet with hundreds or even thousands of copies of the same issue.  

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

To anyone outside comics, the words "file copy" would not imply great condition.  It only took on that presumed meaning because some early finds of comic book file copies were also in great condition, and thus some collectors are prone to outrage if the words "file copy" are used on a book which was kept for reference but wasn't kept in great condition.   I would not look at a Murphy Anderson book with tire tracks on the cover and a chunk torn away and think "oh it's a pedigree and a file copy, so it must be high grade no matter what my eyes tell me."  Some collectors appear to have great concern about that, but I just don't see it happening.

However, when the words "file copy" are used for books that were actually unsold stock in a warehouse, I see plenty of potential for confusion because the words "file copy" implies a very limited number, such as what copies might be kept in, you know, a file cabinet -- as opposed to being stacked on a pallet with hundreds or even thousands of copies of the same issue.  

Interesting. The “ DC Archive “ copies of Action 1 & Tec 27 are pretty rough looking.  Every time I watch that video, by the Hollywood reporter, of the DC librarian handling them I cringe the way he just slaps them down on the file cabinet

21 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Interesting. The “ DC Archive “ copies of Action 1 & Tec 27 are pretty rough looking.  Every time I watch that video, by the Hollywood reporter, of the DC librarian handling them I cringe the way he just slaps them down on the file cabinet

If that bothers you, then you don't want to know the story behind the "Famous First Editions" of the 70s and the laminated Action 1.

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

ok, here come some file copies either currently or formerly recognized by our host.

this is a timely file copy--the staple holes are the key.  there are some labeled ones, but my few are all raw.

aw10.jpg

Cool !!  Timely FC !