• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose, and why???

51 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, showcase4 said:

Both sold recently for about $2k. Which one would you choose, and why??? (Real money - YOUR money )

EE05BBCD-2840-4E91-911B-5304E8E65027.jpeg

7A38D1B6-671A-4583-8341-B7D659FF324E.jpeg

It would be nice if there were some comic spin offs. While the $2000 is TV driven it helps having something being published.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

Hulk sold maybe 2x as many copies as wwbn. Does anyone know when 32 started getting attentio? Marvel wanted MK to be something with the spotlight and rampaging hulk stories, but it took a while to happen. 181 was something fairly early.

10 years ago.

12 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Hulk 181 - Once the new Wolverine gets sorted out, he will be all over the place and the train will just keeping rolling on with games, merchandise, toys etc etc

WBN 32 - One of the biggest speculation books out there, still needs to establish himself once a TV show/Movie is up and running

ASM 300 - 1st Venom, enough said

TWD 1 - The show is over, the book has ended, can't see it holding its value long term

The show is still on and a new season premiering soon. There are also more spinoffs planned including a movie that will be in theaters with Andrew Lincoln.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

10 years ago.

OK, "attention" is vague. WWBN 32 has been bumped out a lot longer than 10 years. I have a 2005 OPG in my office and it is $125 in 9.2. Hero for Hire #1 was only $95. Iron Man 55 was $180. The sales section on p. 128 lists a CGC 9.6 selling for $1,500 and a 9.4 for $500. So not 50 cent box material. It was a bronze key then, not an upper tier one, sure. I'm more thinking, in 1980, when Moon Knight 1 came out, did that make #32 a $5 book (real money in those days)  that collectors started trying to keep in decent shape? I think a lot of things may have helped keep Hulk 181s in decent shape. Hulk had a pretty decent readership/collectordom and Wolverine appeared in GS X-Men 1 not that long after. And, yes, while it took a little while for him to build his cult status, we're still talking mid-70s, just a couple of years after 181 came out, so savy collectors may have been trying to preserve copies, whereas #32 had a few more years to marinate in 5 for $1 boxes. Someone with a 1979 or 1980 overstreet can probably answer the question or someone who actively collected then. My childhood brain does not remember these things. I was thinking about silver age and the New X-Men then.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The show is still on and a new season premiering soon. There are also more spinoffs planned including a movie that will be in theaters with Andrew Lincoln.

I guess it depends on the ratings this season. Michone eventually leaving will not help. "Fear" is ok, I watch it for whatever reason.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:27 PM, deadleg said:

WWBN32. It's not about money or which book I would get a better return on. It's about which character I like more. 

On 9/17/2019 at 5:54 PM, showcase4 said:

Both sold recently for about $2k. Which one would you choose, and why??? (Real money - YOUR money )

EE05BBCD-2840-4E91-911B-5304E8E65027.jpeg

7A38D1B6-671A-4583-8341-B7D659FF324E.jpeg

Same rule that deadleg mentioned applies here.  Venom is the established character, he's the one I grew up with, so that's the book for me.  Sure, TWD could develop into a niche book like TMNT (scaled for era and print run), but the book doesn't resonate with me the way ASM #300 does.

12 hours ago, showcase4 said:

Both Variant Covers you see here have record high sales of $2,800! ~~ (assume both are CGC graded 9.8)

Which one would you choose, and why???

6112D5FE-E07F-4D24-9102-4E35D534D7B1.jpeg

530A8A4A-43C5-4409-A0B1-AA93F08BCA96.jpeg

The Wolverine, despite my thinking it is overvalued. I see it less overvalued than the spawn printing error. I'd take a "black" venom lethal protector 1 over either one.

I'd go with the Spawn over the Wolverine variant. Spawn is a first appearance, which has been the only consistently collectible factor in the history of the hobby. I think variant collecting will fade, at least to the point where a lot of people won't bother chasing a variant if the issue itself isn't of some importance.

I would take that money and throw a little under the going rate or when the e-bay bucks 10% happens at saga 1's.  Then I would post one of those crazy pics some of the guys and girls have on the boards of the floor/stairway full of them.

6 hours ago, showcase4 said:

Super Big Bucks Edition!

Both sold for a blended average of right around $15,000! If it was your own money, and you had to choose one ( or your arms would fall off let’s say, so you MUST buy one :whee:) .. which , and why?!!

494FA2F0-4CFA-47AB-B270-143A4FE30A6E.jpeg

4E57CBE1-CECD-4964-BCFA-69EF0D59DEDE.jpeg

Oh that 10 is gorgeous! Definitely that 10 just because it’s gorgeous!!