• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

problem with mylites 2

74 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, newshane said:

This is my guess. 

I have no idea what he means by air bubbles. 

modern age books in standard size mylites, when i say air bubbles i am saying that in the back cover the mylite inflates from the air that is kept in there( sorry  my english are not very good i am from europe)

34 minutes ago, a.breton said:

modern age books in standard size mylites, when i say air bubbles i am saying that in the back cover the mylite inflates from the air that is kept in there( sorry  my english are not very good i am from europe)

After bagging, place the bag on a flat surface with the book face down and with a gentle flat hand move the air out of the bag before taping it shut.  Also, I'd recommend storing all the books facing the same direction, rather than front cover to front cover.  The oversized backing board of the neighboring book in front of it will prevent any damage from happening to the front cover.

The only other thing I can imagine is the possibility that you may be jamming the books into storage boxes too tightly.

Edited by namisgr

20 minutes ago, namisgr said:

After bagging, place the bag on a flat surface with the book face down and with a gentle flat hand move the air out of the bag before taping it shut.  Also, I'd recommend storing all the books facing the same direction, rather than front cover to front cover.  The oversized backing board of the neighboring book in front of it will prevent any damage from happening to the front cover.

The only other thing I can imagine is the possibility that you may be jamming the books into storage boxes too tightly.

thank you,when you seal your comics all the air is coming out o a little amount stays?

2 minutes ago, a.breton said:

thank you,when you seal your comics all the air is coming out o a little amount stays?

There's very little air left in the bag and no large bubbles of it when you use a flat hand to gently push it out before taping the bag shut.  But no, not all the air is removed, as storage with a bag and board doesn't create a vacuum.

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

There's very little air left in the bag and no large bubbles of it when you use a flat hand to gently push it out before taping the bag shut.  But no, not all the air is removed, as storage with a bag and board doesn't create a vacuum.

thanks again!do you suggest me to stay in mylites or to take all of  my books out of the mylite bags and place them in poly?

Just now, a.breton said:

thanks again!do you suggest me to stay in mylites or to take all of  my books out of the mylite bags and place them in poly?

Mylites are far superior.  There are several threads on the boards about it, but all you need to know is that the US Library of Congress uses mylar (which mylites are made out of) for archiving precious Federal documents of the country.

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Mylites are far superior.  There are several threads on the boards about it, but all you need to know is that the US Library of Congress uses mylar (which mylites are made out of) for archiving precious Federal documents of the country.

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

yes that's true, but i am afraid if the other books will have the same problems with the <<damaged>ones.maybe i am doing something wrong.is there a chance air might be the cause?

3 hours ago, a.breton said:

yes that's true, but i am afraid if the other books will have the same problems with the <<damaged>ones.maybe i am doing something wrong.is there a chance air might be the cause?

Pictures would help. 

The Mylar is much thicker than the poly bags. Perhaps the fluff is merely the thicker material bowing out slightly? 

I just picked up a modern in a standard sized Mylar and the bag doesn't lie completely against the fullback. It isn't meant to be air tight. You'll have a bit of a wrinkle and that's actually a good thing. 

As far as the damage to your books...I don't understand, unless you've mishandled them, stored them haphazardly, or used bags that are too small. 

(shrug)

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

Pictures would help. 

The Mylar is much thicker than the poly bags. Perhaps the fluff is merely the thicker material bowing out slightly? 

I just picked up a modern in a standard sized Mylar and the bag doesn't lie completely against the fullback. It isn't meant to be air tight. You'll have a bit of a wrinkle and that's actually a good thing. 

As far as the damage to your books...I don't understand, unless you've mishandled them, stored them haphazardly, or used bags that are too small. 

(shrug)

thank you for your answer my friend.i am not mishandle my issues, i bought in the summer many new books in near mint condition, i put them straight in mylites and recently i wanted to read them and saw these problems, i really don't know.Two questions if you can answer me-are you suggesting me to keep on with mylites or to take the books out of mylites -just for some days at least,to see what is going on-and may i ask how you store your books, i put them cover to cover-i saw it on youtube-is it wise to do that?sorry for my english i am from europe.thank you again

4 minutes ago, a.breton said:

thank you for your answer my friend.i am not mishandle my issues, i bought in the summer many new books in near mint condition, i put them straight in mylites and recently i wanted to read them and saw these problems, i really don't know.Two questions if you can answer me-are you suggesting me to keep on with mylites or to take the books out of mylites -just for some days at least,to see what is going on-and may i ask how you store your books, i put them cover to cover-i saw it on youtube-is it wise to do that?sorry for my english i am from europe.thank you again

Can you show us pictures of how you are storing the books and what they look like in the bags? 

I would leave them in the Mylites for sure! 

My method is Mylites 2 standard sized bags and matching Fullback boards. ACID-FREE, TWO-SIDED TAPE underneath the flap. I store my books upright with the all of the front covers facing the same direction - the front of the box. I use a BCW COMIC BOOK BIN to store my books. I also use Microchamber paper (eBay) - one piece behind the front cover, in the centerfold, and in front of the back cover. 

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

Can you show us pictures of how you are storing the books and what they look like in the bags? 

I would leave them in the Mylites for sure! 

My method is Mylites 2 standard sized bags and matching Fullback boards. ACID-FREE, TWO-SIDED TAPE underneath the flap. I store my books upright with the all of the front covers facing the same direction - the front of the box. I use a BCW COMIC BOOK BIN to store my books. I also use Microchamber paper (eBay) - one piece behind the front cover, in the centerfold, and in front of the back cover. 

i will provide photos soon as i can,i have mylites 2 and halfbacks,two tapes,one in the middle and one in the edge,and the same box as yours,no microchamber,do you think halfbacks might be the problem?

10 minutes ago, a.breton said:

i will provide photos soon as i can,i have mylites 2 and halfbacks,two tapes,one in the middle and one in the edge,and the same box as yours,no microchamber,do you think halfbacks might be the problem?

... out of my league again...

But if the boards aren't the same size etc or there are too many of them...

Maybe you were shipped the wrong size...

Pics should clarify everything presumably :foryou:

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

... out of my league again...

But if the boards aren't the same size etc or there are too many of them...

Maybe you were shipped the wrong size...

Pics should clarify everything presumably :foryou:

standard size standard boards, i will have photos soon

It sounds like your folding the flap down and leaving air in the bag, instead of expressing the air out, then folding the flap down.  After placing the book in, express the air out, then use post it flag to seal it.  The package should be flat, not all bubbly.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It sounds like your folding the flap down and leaving air in the bag, instead of expressing the air out, then folding the flap down.  After placing the book in, express the air out, then use post it flag to seal it.  The package should be flat, not all bubbly.

thank you for your answer, do you think that air might be the cause of the problem?

Just now, a.breton said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

thank you for your answer, do you think that air might be the cause of the problem?

Not for all your stated problems, but the whole package, bag, board, comic needs to be flat, and without a big bubble of air in the bag.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Not for all your stated problems, but the whole package, bag, board, comic needs to be flat, and without a big bubble of air in the bag.

it's nearly flat,but mostly at downwards there is an amount of air,are your mylites are free of air?

4 minutes ago, a.breton said:

it's nearly flat,but mostly at downwards there is an amount of air,are your mylites are free of air?

Yes, for the most part - there is always a bit down the spine and vertical edge, but I make sure to squeeze as much out as possible before I apply the post-it.

Mylites come in several sizes.They range from every narrow moderns to extra wide golden age. I don't know anyone who likes the moderns and the golden age are too big for my taste. 

I like the 750 size for most books but it's a personal preference. There is an excellent whose in this forum that shows how combinations of mylites and backing boards look on different era books.