• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

problem with mylites 2

74 posts in this topic

hi, my friends! i bought recently 200 mylites 2 and 200 halfback boards for my comics-before 3 mounths. I opened today many of these comics-that were bagged in mylites, and i discovered that they were having-about 35 issues- a light wave and dents in the edge and near middle of the cover and some fewer,18 issues,many creasing and wrinkles.I have to say that the mylite bags had some air and air bubbles in the back. Any thoughts? is it because of the air,the pressure or is it a coincidence? i am not storage them in steel cabinets. I would appreciate some help. thank you! (p.s.i am using half back,i tried many ways to put the air out but always some air is in the bag).i already get the 35 issues that were damaged out of their bags.Should i take out and the otthers that they don't have a problem?)

is it possible they were modern mylites with silver age books?

or some other combination that didn't give enough room for the books?

I'm out of my league here, but just a suggestion....

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

is it possible they were modern mylites with silver age books?

or some other combination that didn't give enough room for the books?

This is my guess. 

I have no idea what he means by air bubbles. 

In the late 80s, I managed to wedge a couple dozen Golden Age books into whatever mylars were on hand. They were mostly off brand books in rough shape to begin with, but I wasn't a very good guardian for those books. It was a cheap learning experience.

Just now, a.breton said:

modern books with modern mylites,also some bronze age books

I think the bronze age one in a modern mylite will be too tight and if you shoved them in there maybe they can cause the issues your having with rippling through the comic you need a some space on the sides you dont want it to be a tight fit.

44 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I think the bronze age one in a modern mylite will be too tight and if you shoved them in there maybe they can cause the issues your having with rippling through the comic you need a some space on the sides you dont want it to be a tight fit.

this is happening also in new books,the new green lantern issues, i am using standard size and standard half boards,do you think the cause of my problem is the air?always there is little amount of air in the back of the mylite 

3 hours ago, newshane said:

Are you using the proper size? 

Probably not. The Gerber product is the best in the business, bar none. 

Never use the "modern" size bags. They are too small, even for moderns! You got to let them breathe. 

There is a thread in comics general about the proper sizes for Mylar bags. Use the search function to find it. Good luck. 

gerber mylites standard size, halfbacs gerber standard size,the problem is that there is left a certain amount of air when i seal them ,might be that the cause?

Edited by a.breton

2 minutes ago, a.breton said:

this is happening also in new books,the new green lantern issues, i am using standard size and standard half boards,do you think the cause of my problem is the air?always there is little amount of air in the back of the mylite 

you generally want room. I would suggest maybe getting a bigger size maybe try the silver/bronze age bag so you have space in there obviously you dont want it floating around but you dont want it super tight as well. 

check out that thread it will help a lot specially with the sizing and mill (thickness) of the bag. @a.breton

Edited by Krishosein

Just now, Krishosein said:

you generally want room. I would suggest maybe getting a bigger size maybe try the silver/bronze age bag so you have space in there obviously you dont want it floating around but you dont want it super tight as well. 

Just now, Krishosein said:

shoul i keep the other books that they are not affected in the mylites or should i get them out of the mylites too?the issues that were damaged are already out of their mylites

1 minute ago, a.breton said:

shoul i keep the other books that they are not affected in the mylites or should i get them out of the mylites too?the issues that were damaged are already out of their mylites

can you take a pic of the books in the storage box and a pic of the damage so we can see specifically what your talking about. As there might be other factors involved depending on the damage your referring to.

6 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

can you take a pic of the books in the storage box and a pic of the damage so we can see specifically what your talking about. As there might be other factors involved depending on the damage your referring to.

right now i cannot, i am placing them in  a small box with covers face to face,the most usual problem is a dent in the midlle of the cover near the spine roll.not in the spine roll and in very few books-8 issues-heavy streching and creases in the page before the backcover

6 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Edited by a.breton

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

In the late 80s, I managed to wedge a couple dozen Golden Age books into whatever mylars were on hand. They were mostly off brand books in rough shape to begin with, but I wasn't a very good guardian for those books. It was a cheap learning experience.

what mistakes did you do?maybe i am doing the same

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Are these genuine Mylites made by E. Gerber or Bill Cole Enterprises?

yes gerber mylites standard size,halfbacks sgerber standard size, i am trying to seal them without air but always a certain amount of air left in the backcover.