• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Why?  They were called Mile High's when the whole concept of charging a premium for a "pedigree" was first invented by Chuck, and there is no doubt that dealers owe him a huge debt of gratitude for that.  Other pedigrees are also named after the stores that discovered them, and most pedigrees don't reference the orginal owner - more likely a purely marketing name ("curator") or place name ("Allentown") designed to hide the OO's identity (and I suspect that is usually the dealer's choice, not the OO's).  I think Chuck deserves the credit he gets by the reference to his store in the MH/Edgar Church books.

I certainly see that argument.  I’ve seen firsthand  when a previous owner who is no longer with us had no say in the “deal”  that brings them to the public eye And they, in turn, get lost to history. I just think it’s a shame

I think so too because when was the last time we saw a Marvel 1 at this higher grade sell for last? Also being it scarcer in higher grade than a Cap 1 I wouldnt be surprised if it sells for more than the Cap 1 9.4. 

It's quite the norm now that books previously graded lower are now graded higher in the new holders. I had the feeling that this was a lower graded copy before and if I were a serious bidder it would play heavily on my bidding knowing it used to be a 8.5 to begin with.  It's a matter of do I really want this book  and bid as if it were a true 9.4 or play the waiting game for x amount of years for a real 9.2/9.4 copy. These are decisions I'd have to make. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’m with you. A lot of people are just jealous of Chuckle’s good fortune. At the time the collection was found and marketed, it was always referred to as the Mile High collection. No one really knew about Edgar Church. One look at one of these books and I didn’t care what they were called. You just knew these were probably the best copies on the planet and history has pretty much proven it in general. 

At this point, I refer to the collection as the Edgar Church/Mile High collection. Edgar should get top billing for having put it together in the first place and Mile High should get second billing for finding and saving these amazing books for us to marvel at for all this time. If not for lucky Chuck, these books may have never made their way into our collections...

I like the “ slash” concept 

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The Action 1 that sold for $3M went 8.0 to 8.5 to 9.0.  

The Denver CA 1 which is now a 9.4 started, if I recall correctly, as a 9.0.  

So this is not an isolated instance.

Seems like either CGC's grading (and paper quality) standards are declining over time or the pressing techniques are really improving (especially as they can now upgrade PQ).

I don't believe that's correct regarding that Action 1 CGC 9.0 that sold for 3.2 mil. I'm pretty sure that was graded only once, and it got the 9.0.

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Having archived every copy I’ve come across of Marvel #1, it’s clear that OCT copies are much tougher to come by than NOV copies.

There should be a premium IMO, but the book is so rare and so desirable, I don’t know how much of a premium.

How many of each have you archived ? How does your archive total compare to your Action 1 and Tec 27 archive totals ?  How many Marvel 1’s do you you think exist today ? 

I can't be the only one who saw the pages peeking out on the new 9.4 that figured it was newly minted rather than newly graded.  (shrug)

Those old spine defects might still be there, only now they're on the back cover. 

I don't know how I'd feel about all this as a big-$$$ buyer, but the incentives that currently conspire to manipulate both the books themselves and the marketplace will not soon disappear, I do opine.  :gossip:  

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I don't believe that's correct regarding that Action 1 CGC 9.0 that sold for 3.2 mil. I'm pretty sure that was graded only once, and it got the 9.0.

I'd suggest you read the above thread, especially around page 33 or so.  Posters on this board known for their knowledge stated it started as an 8.0.  And I was told by a Metro employee the same thing at SDCC as he disparaged the book (presumably the party line of Metro was to disparage the book prior to the auction in an attempt to lower the price for their client - Hariri).   On other threads on this book, we learned the chain of ownership starting with its storage for years in a cedar box.  A really interesting story.  But not one that supports it was graded once.

Edited by sfcityduck

13 hours ago, Knightsofold said:
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

Whoa, hadn't realized there were so many!  CA 1 is the IH 181 of GA!

Isn’t Batman #1 the GA key with the most copies in the census?

I'm only talking about ultra-HG copies.  

In terms of total copies, I don't think MC 1 is that common at all, certainly not compared to Cap 1 or Bat 1.

10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

that definitely clinches it. 9.0 went to 9.4

Actually, 8.5 c-ow went to 9.0 c-ow and then 9.4 ow:

cue @tth2

Man I love this hobby! ®

10 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

If you were thinking of bidding on this initially, would this new information alter your thinking?

Yes

10 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

It will be interesting to see whether HA addresses this history in its description.

They won't

Great work by these Boards, once again! (worship)

10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The Action 1 that sold for $3M went 8.0 to 8.5 to 9.0.  

The Denver CA 1 which is now a 9.4 started, if I recall correctly, as a 9.0.  

So this is not an isolated instance.

Seems like either CGC's grading (and paper quality) standards are declining over time or the pressing techniques are really improving (especially as they can now upgrade PQ).

The main thing that this seems to confirm is that are no "fresh to market" high grade copies of mega-keys anymore.

Every time a high grade copy of a mega-key is announced these days, it turns out that it's just a recycled book. 

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

You didn’t hear it from me, but I have it on good authority that they’re not far away from having the ability to press November copies into October ones. :gossip:

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
12 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

If you were thinking of bidding on this initially, would this new information alter your thinking?

Yes

12 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

It will be interesting to see whether HA addresses this history in its description.

They won't

Great work by these Boards, once again! (worship)

+1 on all counts.

10 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Graded more than once

Edited by G.A.tor