• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

The main thing that this seems to confirm is that are no "fresh to market" high grade copies of mega-keys anymore.

Every time a high grade copy of a mega-key is announced these days, it turns out that it's just a recycled book. 

Except for the AS 8 and Sensation 1 within the last 5 years 

13 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

The main thing that this seems to confirm is that are no "fresh to market" high grade copies of mega-keys anymore.

Every time a high grade copy of a mega-key is announced these days, it turns out that it's just a recycled book. 

Except for the AS 8 and Sensation 1 within the last 5 years

Speaking of which, Sens1 8.5 in Nov auction along with the Marvel 1 9.4

21446243%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Edited by Gotham Kid

23 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Has it been determined that this is a new copy or is it grade bump....if its a grade bump from 9.0 to 9.4 any guess on how much increased value added?

Now that we have our answer, it will be interesting to see whether there is any perceivable bidder reaction - in either direction.

Edited by pemart1966

8 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Graded more than once

tenor.gif.7bb084f994eb0b9f2eb6dee151750866.gif

Well, that's certainly a revelation. Always thought that one went from cedar chest and straight to CGC. I feel as though I was once a kid, and while a kid I enjoyed delicious treats during Christmas. I knew presents were coming from Santa, and joy would follow me wherever I went. Then, one day, a fellow boy at school decided it was appropriate to tell me there was no Santa. Suddenly, life as we know it ceased to matter. This is how I now feel having learned this.

For those intrigued by such things, here's the certification provenance of current high-grade copies of Marvel Comics #1. They are listed in order of original certification date. I came up short on a few data points, so if you have the info pls post it.

Pay Copy
Original Certification #: 0039512001
Grade: 9.0
Grade Date: 11/14/2001

Denver Copy
Original Certification #: 0056429001
Grade: 8.5
Grade Date: 04/22/2002
2nd Certification #: ?
Grade Date: ?

Windy City Copy
Original Certification #: 0059391007
Grade: 8.5
Grade Date: 8/6/2002
2nd Certification #: 0071944001
Grade Date: ?
3rd Certification #: 1625297003
Grade: 9.4
Grade Date: 09/12/2019

38 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well, that's certainly a revelation. Always thought that one went from cedar chest and straight to CGC. I feel as though I was once a kid, and while a kid I enjoyed delicious treats during Christmas. I knew presents were coming from Santa, and joy would follow me wherever I went. Then, one day, a fellow boy at school decided it was appropriate to tell me there was no Santa. Suddenly, life as we know it ceased to matter. This is how I now feel having learned this.

Sorry. But it’s been well documented book was an 8.0 with note of glue at staple. Glue removed book graded 8.5. Book resubmitted unknown number of times (I heard 2) before finally got 9.0. Book’s cover was extensively dry cleaned to remove a lot of surface flaws. 

It deserved a 9.0 once glue was removed, book pressed and dry cleaned. 

48 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Sorry. But it’s been well documented book was an 8.0 with note of glue at staple. Glue removed book graded 8.5. Book resubmitted unknown number of times (I heard 2) before finally got 9.0. Book’s cover was extensively dry cleaned to remove a lot of surface flaws. 

It deserved a 9.0 once glue was removed, book pressed and dry cleaned. 

10-4, well that's cool I guess. I mean, still a gorgeous copy and I feel deserving of it's current grade. I mean I never saw it in person, but it seemed pretty cherry from the photos at least. :headbang:

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Welcome to comic collecting post-2003! 

You will love this hobby!