• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

FTFY

This at one time was John's second best copy of  Marvel 1 as a 9.0  now upgraded... he offered it to me about two years ago for a mil then. It does look considerably nicer now as a 9.4. The Mile High copy must be at least a 9.6 if graded, possibly a 9.8. 

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Can someone be kind enough to post a link to the marvel 9.4 that’s in the November heritage auction?  I can never find anything on that site.

thanks

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-comics-1-timely-1939-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/p/7212-153016.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515

29 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

From the HA description:  "To put the outrageous grade in perspective,..."

There may be a few people on this thread that agree completely with this description  lol

21 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

From the HA description:  "To put the outrageous grade in perspective,..."

There may be a few people on this thread that agree completely with this description  lol

Grade bumping...any guess on how much value was added by the pancake press..cleaning?

46 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Grade bumping...any guess on how much value was added by the pancake press..cleaning?

If this had been a "new to the market" copy then there's no doubt in my mind that we'd see it break the Cap 1 amount.

It's gone up almost a full grade AND its PQ has improved.  "Outrageous grade" indeed!

This "pancake press..cleaning" may have added value in some eyes but it also may have taken away value in other eyes...

Edited by pemart1966

Thanks to the boards on this one. I went from curiosity to full understanding in just a few pages. Pressed or not pressed, MC #1 has been a disappointing book in high grade for... 15 years now? Something like that. Cap feels like the king now. 9.4 might make a difference, but I've been surprised (on the downside) by MC #1 before.

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

If this had been a "new to the market" copy then there's no doubt in my mind that we'd see it break the Cap 1 amount.

It's gone up almost a full grade AND its PQ has improved.  "Outrageous grade" indeed!

This "pancake press..cleaning" may not have added value in some eyes but may have actually taken away value...

how many of those whale HA clients check the boards, they just pay attention to slab....but I agree it does in my mind downgrade the value....

3 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Thanks to the boards on this one. I went from curiosity to full understanding in just a few pages. Pressed or not pressed, MC #1 has been a disappointing book in high grade for... 15 years now? Something like that. Cap feels like the king now. 9.4 might make a difference, but I've been surprised (on the downside) by MC #1 before.

The collective mind of the board is staggering. I agree, but how many of US would bid on this and go to the max knowing the real history of the book..in way it degrades the meaning of the 9.4 "grade"

Edited by Mmehdy

9 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Following up on this if you wanted to lose money on a golden age mega key over the past couple of decades Marvel Comics #1 was your go to book

Marvel Comics 1 Denver CGC 9.0 Upgraded from 8.5

1. $172,500.00 at Heritage on 2005/08/13
  2. $155,350.00 at Heritage on 2009/02/26
Marvel Comics 1 Pay Copy CGC 9.0

1. $40,000.00 at Private Sale in 1993
  2. $350,000.00 at Private Sale in 2003
  3. $201,250.00 at Heritage on 2006/01/19
  4. $204,999.99 at Heritage on 2007/08/03
  5. $227,050.00 at Heritage on 2010/02/25
Marvel Comics 1   CGC 9.0 UPGRADED from 8.5

1. $126,500.00 at Heritage on 2003/03/06
  2. $161,000.00 at Heritage on 2005/10/14
Marvel Comics 1 Larson CGC 8.0

1. $41,400.00 at Sotheby's in 1997
  2. $48,000.00 at Unknown in 1998
  3. $101,575.00 at Heritage on 2006/11/17
  4. $89,625.00 at Heritage on 2007/11/15
  5. $89,625.00 at Heritage on 2009/11/19

24 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

how many of those whale HA clients check the boards, they just pay attention to slab....but I agree it does in my mind downgrade the value....

(thumbsu

Maybe I should alter my previous statement a bit.  Upon looking at the book, the grade itself does not appear to be outrageous.  However, the process by which it arrived at that grade and PQ is. 

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

Following up on this if you wanted to lose money on a golden age mega key over the past couple of decades Marvel Comics #1 was your go to book

Marvel Comics 1 Denver CGC 9.0 Upgraded from 8.5

1. $172,500.00 at Heritage on 2005/08/13
  2. $155,350.00 at Heritage on 2009/02/26
Marvel Comics 1 Pay Copy CGC 9.0

1. $40,000.00 at Private Sale in 1993
  2. $350,000.00 at Private Sale in 2003
  3. $201,250.00 at Heritage on 2006/01/19
  4. $204,999.99 at Heritage on 2007/08/03
  5. $227,050.00 at Heritage on 2010/02/25
Marvel Comics 1   CGC 9.0 UPGRADED from 8.5

1. $126,500.00 at Heritage on 2003/03/06
  2. $161,000.00 at Heritage on 2005/10/14
Marvel Comics 1 Larson CGC 8.0

1. $41,400.00 at Sotheby's in 1997
  2. $48,000.00 at Unknown in 1998
  3. $101,575.00 at Heritage on 2006/11/17
  4. $89,625.00 at Heritage on 2007/11/15
  5. $89,625.00 at Heritage on 2009/11/19

To be fair, quite a number of those sales took place in a period when relatively high grade copies of MC 1 seemed to be popping up every auction, and often it was the same copies.  This really tainted everyone's perception of the book at the time.  The feeling was that MC 1s were like buses--if you didn't get an MC 1 at this auction, just wait because another one would be coming along.

During that same period, very few Action 1s and Detective 27s or higher grade Bat 1s and Cap 1s were coming to market, which further enhanced the perception that MC 1 was common as dirt.

Now, it's been a while since a higher grade MC 1 has come up for auction.  So it will be fascinating to see what it goes for in today's supercharged market, particularly because of the unprecedented grade, which is tempered by the knowledge among those who will have done their due diligence that it's just one of those copies that was being constantly recycled back in the 'naughts. 

18 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

This book is the Windy City copy. It was identified as such by the founder of the collection, Gary Colabuono, in this particular thread. Additionally, the book is identified as being the Windy City copy on the Comic Book Pedigree website. (Link below)

Does Moondog still post here?

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

To be fair, quite a number of those sales took place in a period when relatively high grade copies of MC 1 seemed to be popping up every auction, and often it was the same copies.  This really tainted everyone's perception of the book at the time.  The feeling was that MC 1s were like buses--if you didn't get an MC 1 at this auction, just wait because another one would be coming along.

During that same period, very few Action 1s and Detective 27s or higher grade Bat 1s and Cap 1s were coming to market, which further enhanced the perception that MC 1 was common as dirt.

Now, it's been a while since a higher grade MC 1 has come up for auction.  So it will be fascinating to see what it goes for in today's supercharged market, particularly because of the unprecedented grade, which is tempered by the knowledge among those who will have done their due diligence that it's just one of those copies that was being constantly recycled back in the 'naughts. 

Ditto. Also all sales are before 2010 and under. Before the price explosion million dollar books.

3 hours ago, MasterChief said:

I'm somewhat perplexed as to why the pedigree designation is not assigned to this book. 

Being a student of hobby history and fascinated by the story of a collections' origin, I'm particularly sensitive to maintaining a cohesive link to the nostalgic past through proper identification and labeling of pedigree copies thereby cementing comic book provenance.  

This book is the Windy City copy. It was identified as such by the founder of the collection, Gary Colabuono, in this particular thread. Additionally, the book is identified as being the Windy City copy on the Comic Book Pedigree website. (Link below)

Windy City

"Of the four pedigrees containing all #1 issues, this collection is by far the largest, numbering over 2,000 comics. It also covers one of the largest spans of time, running from the '30s through the '60s. Many of the most valuable key issues were present, including Marvel Comics #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, Flash #1, Captain Marvel #1, All-Winners #1, Daring Mystery #1 and Whiz #1. The original owner Andy Wallace, an introverted postal worker who lived with his sister, wrote his name on nearly 1/4 of the comics. Gary Colabuono purchased the collection piecemeal over eight years, but initially sold them without a pedigree status, although he did make a detailed original list."

Marvel Comics #1 Windy City

It first came to market as from the white rose collection. Anyone connect it as Windy City copy then?

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

I'm somewhat perplexed as to why the pedigree designation is not assigned to this book. 

Being a student of hobby history and fascinated by the story of a collections' origin, I'm particularly sensitive to maintaining a cohesive link to the nostalgic past through proper identification and labeling of pedigree copies thereby cementing comic book provenance.  

Windy City

"Of the four pedigrees containing all #1 issues, this collection is by far the largest, numbering over 2,000 comics. It also covers one of the largest spans of time, running from the '30s through the '60s. Many of the most valuable key issues were present, including Marvel Comics #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, Flash #1, Captain Marvel #1, All-Winners #1, Daring Mystery #1 and Whiz #1. The original owner Andy Wallace, an introverted postal worker who lived with his sister, wrote his name on nearly 1/4 of the comics. Gary Colabuono purchased the collection piecemeal over eight years, but initially sold them without a pedigree status, although he did make a detailed original list."

Marvel Comics #1 Windy City

I wonder if it's been asked for and denied or just was never asked for. I've heard that some Church copies have been designated as pedigree books without it being noted on the submission, but it would be tougher with something else. 

Even with something like this- you'd have to stumble on the knowledge. I never knew this book, which I've been following for 15 years, was the Windy City copy. I would contact Heritage (and I will if no one else wants to)

3 hours ago, zen514 said:

Ditto. Also all sales are before 2010 and under. Before the price explosion million dollar books.

Million dollar books featuring characters the general public cares about. I'm hoping to be surprised and get another 7 figure book (and to finally add a new title to that list- returning MC#1 at least temporarily, to top 3 GA status), but for the last 20 years I've only ever been surprised on the downside by MC #1. Fingers crossed and popcorn out though. I wanted the Cap to hit 7 figures, I'll be just as excited if this one does it.

Edited by rob_react