• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, tth2 said:

What if the consignor (assuming the consignor was the person who resubbed the book) doesn't want the Windy City affiliation to be disclosed?  

I'm sure if he tells Heritage that he does not want Heritage's write-up to mention that it's the Windy City copy, then Heritage won't mention it.

If someone tells CGC that they don't want a book to be identified as a pedigree, will CGC do as requested?

If Cgc identifies a pedigree they will note, it’s not the submitters call either way, short of cracking from slab to hide a pedigree notification 

Edited by G.A.tor

4 hours ago, tth2 said:
20 hours ago, AJD said:
On 9/21/2019 at 7:43 AM, MasterChief said:

I'm somewhat perplexed as to why the pedigree designation is not assigned to this book. 

I might be off base here, but if the pedigree designation was attached to the book when it was graded lower, that would make it easier to identify that it has been monkeyed with. So there's a $ incentive not to include it.

Ding ding ding! 

to hell with provenance, it's all about the money.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I understand your comment and share your concern, but I wonder how many boardies would forgo say an extra 100k on the book for disclosing versus not.   I think anyone that has ever sent a book out for pressing before a sale cannot ride the high horse named Disclosure.   

I have never pressed a book but not because I’m so high minded; I just don’t collect many books actively anymore .    With enough incentive I’m sure I’d do it too

Edited by Bronty

If the book had originally had the Windy City notation then that would be one thing. It's never had the notation though. The current owner may not even know. They turned in the label. The book was properly removed from the census (there are now only 2 9.0s.) If they're trying to hide that the book was pressed they should start there.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, G.A.tor said:

...short of cracking from slab to hide a pedigree notification 

Which is exactly what happened with the Larson copy of Marvel Mystery 9.

The book originally was a PLOD, but it was cracked, ‘improved’, and the slight resto was removed. 

Before resubmission, the Larson pedigree designation on the front cover was erased so that the provenance couldn’t be directly traced. The book returned as a Blue label and was resold for profit.

Drilled by the Dentist again! :boo:

Edited by sacentaur

18 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The book originally was a PLOD, but it was cracked, ‘improved’, and the slight resto was removed. 

Before resubmission, the Larson pedigree designation on the front cover was erased so that the provenance couldn’t be directly traced. The book returned as a Blue label and was resold for profit.

Wow.   This is just incredible and regretfully enlightening.  To me, losing a ped's provenance is disgraceful and in this manner, so deceitful but when greed is involved I shouldn't be surprised.

24 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

disgusting

44 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Also known as “getting Hawkeyed”

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

When I owned the marvel 9 Larson it was noted as such on the label?

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

When I owned the marvel 9 Larson it was noted as such on the label?

Once the scheme was discovered, it may have been slabbed again but this time with the correct designation, I don’t know.

7 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Once the scheme was discovered, it may have been slabbed again but this time with the correct designation, I don’t know.

check HA archives, but it went from a PLOD 5.5 with the "88" call number still present (Larson name erased off), to a CGC 5.5 blue with the "88" erased, to a CGC 6.0 blue. All three had the Larson name on the CGC labels. 

1. Original book, raw, Larson 88.

2. PLOD, Larson erased, 88.

3. Blue, 88 erased.

4. Blue

Who knows how many times the book has been monkeyed with/CPR’d, HA may not fully reflect the book’s history. 

Perhaps one of HA’s esteemed consignment directors, Mark Wilson, can shed some light (wink wink, nod nod)?

On 9/20/2019 at 9:14 PM, tth2 said:

To be fair, quite a number of those sales took place in a period when relatively high grade copies of MC 1 seemed to be popping up every auction, and often it was the same copies.  This really tainted everyone's perception of the book at the time.  The feeling was that MC 1s were like buses--if you didn't get an MC 1 at this auction, just wait because another one would be coming along.

During that same period, very few Action 1s and Detective 27s or higher grade Bat 1s and Cap 1s were coming to market, which further enhanced the perception that MC 1 was common as dirt.

Now, it's been a while since a higher grade MC 1 has come up for auction.  So it will be fascinating to see what it goes for in today's supercharged market, particularly because of the unprecedented grade, which is tempered by the knowledge among those who will have done their due diligence that it's just one of those copies that was being constantly recycled back in the 'naughts. 

Instead, now we see a steady supply of CA 1s, with two more in the next Heritage auction.