• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

I'm a bit confused, then.  So when and where was this copy identified as the Windy City copy?  Only in discussions on these Boards? 

From MasterChef's very helpful timeline, it doesn't appear that it was ever identified as the Windy City copy by CGC or by Heritage in any auction listing. 

One question/correction:

On or about April 11, 2014, the 9.0 copy was listed on Jay Parrino's website "The Mint" with a note to call for price.  Sometime thereafter the price was changed to $350,000.

I know Parrino PAID $350K for the Pay Copy of MC 1.  Are you sure he listed this copy for $350K?

Edited by sfcityduck

17 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm a bit confused, then.  So when and where was this copy identified as the Windy City copy?  Only in discussions on these Boards? 

From MasterChef's very helpful timeline, it doesn't appear that it was ever identified as the Windy City copy by CGC or by Heritage in any auction listing. 

It's been identified by Moondog, who brought the pedigree to market, and by Matt Nelson's website.

Edited by sfcityduck

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

He lost more money on MC 1s than anyone probably.

He might have lost more on Church/Mile High copies than anyone too - maybe more than Gary Keller.

Another case of a newcomer with money getting raped and pillaged by the hobby's insiders.  I remember his initial listings, and after getting over the awe of seeing so many Churches and ultra-HG slabbed GAs in one place, I realized that most were total 3rd- and 4th-tier titles.  The greatest run of All Flash ever assembled!

Keller's auction of the MH Flash runs was a bloodbath.  Loss after loss.  

It's too bad that he didn't hold them until after the Flash t.v. show came out.  I think the hobby would have a much different view of those comics today if he'd held on to them.