• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

Does anyone have any insight on why Keller sold abruptly?

He was a real estate developer.  The stated reason was collecting other things but this was a couple years after the Financial Crisis so...

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm a bit confused, then.  So when and where was this copy identified as the Windy City copy?  Only in discussions on these Boards? 

From MasterChef's very helpful timeline, it doesn't appear that it was ever identified as the Windy City copy by CGC or by Heritage in any auction listing. 

Gary C identified it as the Windy City and Jim Halprin told us that they’re having it added to the label as we speak

Great news! Thank you.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

Below are images cut outs of the webpage header section and listing area of the MC#1 books that appeared on Jay Parrino's The Mint website on June 10, 2004.

The Comic Inventory list is one webpage in length and quite long (A-Z), otherwise I'd posting it here.

It's just fun to look back at the listings and realize many of the books are worth their 2004 asking price.

14 hours ago, MasterChief said:

I realize that there are those who may not know of my opinion on the matter as I have not posted in a few years. So, to be clear, I remain resolute in my position that any form of manipulation, pressing or otherwise, is restoration and should be disclosed to the prospective buyer so that an informed buying decision can be made. That said, there is compelling visual evidence that suggests the physical aspects of this book have been altered through manipulation so that the book appears to be in a better state of preservation or more valuable than it otherwise would be. IMHO, this book is not the "best of the best" regardless of the grade that adorns the label. That honor goes to the Pay Copy as there is no evidence to suggest, to my knowledge anyway, that it has undergone the treatment during the certification age.

I personally, have zero problems with pressing and happily disclaim that it's "restoration" in any negative sense. While I prefer the Pay Copy slightly over the Windy City, grade has nothing to do with why -- the Pay Copy appears to have a slightly better color strike, and the registration is without a doubt, better. That being said, both copies have famous and worthwhile backstories and the person(s) who currently/will own either can hold them with justifiable pride. I think Marvel #1's day will come again -- it's not in danger of turning into Prince Valiant Feature Book #26 or Red Raven #1.

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

I have a Red Raven 1 :sorry:

Well now I feel bad. If it helps, I don't have one, and would happily choose it over a Feature Book #26! :)

These kinds of discussions are fun but somewhat silly for me to engage in anyway, since I'm not in danger of ever getting any books of that type of caliber. :)

28 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I wish I had one !

Hey now, that's a Timely - you're one of those DC guys :D

25 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Well now I feel bad. If it helps, I don't have one, and would happily choose it over a Feature Book #26! :)

These kinds of discussions are fun but somewhat silly for me to engage in anyway, since I'm not in danger of ever getting any books of that type of caliber. :)

I was messing with you.   I am happy to have a RR 1 and back when I got my first guide #4, Marvel Comics was the book I always wanted to own.  The cover freaked me out and I thought, hey that's not the HT I know from the FF lol  Since then Cap 1 has surpassed it as my #1 grail.  But unless I sell multiple organs or hit a lottery, I will own neither.  

28 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

I have a Feature Book #26 :sorry:

That's okay, I still <3 it .

Hamburger?  That's just a form of steak deserving of A1!

I may be an outlier on this board, but I much prefer Human Torch covers to Captain America covers.  The HT covers on MMC and HT are just so much more colorful and full of action that I have to give them the nod.  Schomburg clearly drew a lot of inspiration from the HT.  I've just thought since I saw the OPB No. 10 cover that Schomburg just loved how he could use the HT to make covers more colorful (reds and yellows) and full of movement.  CA cover seem more muted in color and action to me.

3 hours ago, originalisbest said:

I personally, have zero problems with pressing and happily disclaim that it's "restoration" in any negative sense. While I prefer the Pay Copy slightly over the Windy City, grade has nothing to do with why -- the Pay Copy appears to have a slightly better color strike, and the registration is without a doubt, better. That being said, both copies have famous and worthwhile backstories and the person(s) who currently/will own either can hold them with justifiable pride. I think Marvel #1's day will come again -- it's not in danger of turning into Prince Valiant Feature Book #26 or Red Raven #1.

Any discussion that references FB #26 and Red Raven #1 must also reference Tough Kid Squad Comics #1.

Edited by pemart1966