• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey...is that the first time "Marvel Comics" appears in print...?

it was or perhaps in a house ad from a Goodman Red Circle Pulp called Quick Trigger Western Novels (Oct 1939). 

Edited by Primetime

27 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

HERITAGE anticipating 2 Million + 😳. Hard to believe with Verzyl’s copy in the wings (  and possibly the detective work on the boards s? ) 

What's not to believe? Maybe it'll hit 2 million and maybe it won't. It's a great book and being the Windy City copy, it has a wonderful backstory. "Detective work" -- not a big deal that it's been pressed. Now, had it ever been color touched, tear sealed, trimmed, reverse spine-rolled -- then that would be a thing. Pressing is just... not. But some, no doubt, will carry that torch for "pressing is restoration" to their dying day. Whatever floats their boat.

Heritage doesn’t normally broadcast estimates right?    Maybe they know something we don’t and they have reason to believe 2M is a lock?

As far as I can recall its not like them to announce an overly optimistic figure.   

I guess that there may be a guarantee in place.

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, originalisbest said:

"Detective work" -- not a big deal that it's been pressed. Now, had it ever been color touched, tear sealed, trimmed, reverse spine-rolled -- then that would be a thing. Pressing is just... not. But some, no doubt, will carry that torch for "pressing is restoration" to their dying day. Whatever floats their boat.

I feel like I've just teleported back to the halcyon days of the late 2000s.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, Chicago Boy said:

HERITAGE anticipating 2 Million + 😳. Hard to believe with Verzyl’s copy in the wings (  and possibly the detective work on the boards s? ) 

I saw a pic of this book in the OA section.  The Heritage estimated auction plaque under the book said  $1,000,000

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I saw a pic of this book in the OA section.  The Heritage estimated auction plaque under the book said  $1,000,000

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. That is quite the variation in auction estimates.

So, the Heritage press release of September 27, 2019, asserts an estimate $2 Million +

Yet the book on display by Heritage at the NYCC, bearing the new pedigree label with the Windy City annotation, is advertised with a pre-auction estimate of $1M.

What am I missing?

MC-1_9-4_Heritage_Press-Release.png

14 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I believe the original 2 million dollar estimate was a very bold statement, and they realized that it would make them look bad, if it sold for much less.  

Kind of like the "Scotty Principle" for those of us that Trekkie minded except in reverse.  He estimated his time for repair and would do it quicker.  

Edited by telerites