• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2019 at 4:30 AM, MasterChief said:

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. That is quite the variation in auction estimates.

So, the Heritage press release of September 27, 2019, asserts an estimate $2 Million +

Yet the book on display by Heritage at the NYCC, bearing the new pedigree label with the Windy City annotation, is advertised with a pre-auction estimate of $1M.

What am I missing?

MC-1_9-4_Heritage_Press-Release.png

You're missing ...about ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

The book's grade keeps going up while it's pre-sale estimate just took a 1 million dollar haircut...

6 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Okay... I think I get it now.

So, the date of the press release indicates it was drafted sometime prior to the board's discovery that the book was a previous 8.5—>9.0 copy. The advert was most probably written based on the premise it was a new-to-market, never seen before original condition 9.4 copy. Therefore, the $2M estimate reflected same. However, once Heritage realized the jig was up, the estimate was adjusted to reflect a forecasted market value for an 8.5/9.0 copy.

Makes sense.  :p

I do notice however that the description has not been adjusted to reflect the new information  hm

On a side note:  How does All American 16 surpass Marvel 1 on Overstreet's Top 100 list??  No contest that Marvel 1 should be ahead of AM 16 IMHO.

8 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Okay... I think I get it now.

So, the date of the press release indicates it was drafted sometime prior to the board's discovery that the book was a previous 8.5—>9.0 copy. The advert was most probably written based on the premise it was a new-to-market, never seen before original condition 9.4 copy. Therefore, the $2M estimate reflected same. However, once Heritage realized the jig was up, the estimate was adjusted to reflect a forecasted market value for an 8.5/9.0 copy.

Makes sense.  :p

I think it is unrealistic to think that Heritage would not know the CGC history of a $1M+ comic they are auctioning.  They knew.

My guess is the $2M estimate was a typo.  Has any MC 1 ever topped $300K at auction or $350K in a private sale?  I don't think so.  But the CA 1 9.4 result makes $1M seem realistic.  That $2M was just plain crazy   The only comic to top $1.5M is Action 1.  Heritage knows this.  It was a typo.

Edited by sfcityduck

32 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I think it is unrealistic to think that Heritage would not know the CGC history of a $1M+ comic they are auctioning.  They knew.

My guess is the $2M estimate was a typo.  Has any MC 1 ever topped $300K at auction or $350K in a private sale?  I don't think so.  But the CA 1 9.4 result makes $1M seem realistic.  That $2M was just plain crazy   The only comic to top $1.5M is Action 1.  Heritage knows this.  It was a typo.

Very few books could hit the $2 million point.  In my mind based on my extensive research and custom developed algorithms, it really comes down to:

Action 1

Detective 27

maybe highest graded Captain America 1

The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck

41 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That's not an insignificant typo.  I can't believe that it would have passed over that many eyes and no one catching it.  Probably a post facto reality check?

I agree with you though - there's enough experience there that "they knew".  

34 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

Raw copy in the December 18, 1991 SOTHEBYS Auction...sold for $28,600 (Price includes the 10% Buyers Premium)

IMG SOUTH  (200 dpi).jpg

IIRC, the Larson copy was bought by the Walmart guy who proceeded to display it around the country thus causing cover fading. I have never seen the book, so can’t judge.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Very few books could hit the $2 million point.  In my mind based on my extensive research and custom developed algorithms, it really comes down to:

Action 1

Detective 27

maybe highest graded Captain America 1

The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck

Possibly the AF 15 9.6s too...wouldn’t shock me to see it happen.

14 minutes ago, woowoo said:

(tsk) YEARS TO GO STILL.

That's what my brain wants to say also, but when a 9.2 sells for basically $600K and there are 10 higher graded ones, who knows. It's been 2 years since one of the 6(!) 9.4s sold for $700K, i think the only thing we know is that it's safe to say each of the 9.6s is worth 1 million plus.

7 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

That's what my brain wants to say also, but when a 9.2 sells for basically $600K and there are 10 higher graded ones, who knows. It's been 2 years since one of the 6(!) 9.4s sold for $700K, i think the only thing we know is that it's safe to say each of the 9.6s is worth 1 million plus.

(thumbsu https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=407295

af15.jpg

Someone has posted that he knows of a collector that has a whole short box of raw AF15's  It's only a matter time before a 9.8 shows up on the census, as well as other HG copies.

43 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Someone has posted that he knows of a collector that has a whole short box of raw AF15's  It's only a matter time before a 9.8 shows up on the census, as well as other HG copies.

I have a hard time believing stories like this.  Most people would feel compelled to slow release the majority of their high grade copies before everyone else does it and floods the market and devalues all their copies.

Guess we’ll see in a few years, and I’ll admit I don’t have much direct insight into what’s out there, but I’d be surprised if most  of the 9.4+ books aren’t already slabbed.