• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

Back in 2003 when the "White Rose" collection was being catalogued I was asked by HA if the book was the WC.  I confirmed that it was.  The concern HA had then was that the WC designation might hurt the book because of the impression at that time in the hobby that the page quality of WCs across the board was just OK at best.  So they decided to name the collection White Rose.  I protested but since I wasn't the owner there was nothing I could do. 

The WC pedigree cache took a while to develop.  Being listed in the Pedigree Book started an upward move for the pedigree that still continues to this day.  I still get inquiries from collectors asking me to confirm if their book is a WC.

I was heartened to see this press release noting the history of the book.  Pretty cool to know the WC ped will be around forever.  Thanks to the Chief for doing a great job of bringing all this to light. 

I knew it was the WC when I saw the first release in Jim's Facebook post but assumed that no one cared.

https://news.justcollecting.com/marvel-comics-issue-1-heritage-auctions-million-mark/

Here are some pics of the book that were taken by Ben Stothart, the fellow who bought the collection from Anna and who sold it to me back in 1978. 

WC Marvel 1.jpg

WC Marvel 2.jpg

WC Marvel 3.jpg

WC Marvel 4.jpg

I’m still torn on which name I like best...hm

187F01BF-139F-45DC-87A3-A679EEBC72BA.gif.ba691ba54bdd55b442dca8317f9d8183.gif

0FA42E79-84F1-4EB4-8389-C5E1538738E5.gif.4dd1f58b2e775714f0ab052c6c5dd347.gif

14 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

@Moondog- do you remember an issue at the top staple?  Something in the photos hints at an impacted staple or something.

There was nothing wrong with the top staple, the spine was perfect except for just a hint of peeling on the edge, and a bindery tear/ding at the bottom.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, MasterChief said:

Thank you, Gary. I'm delighted by the fact that your legacy will forever be linked to this extraordinary copy.

Also, appreciate you mentioning the name of the newsstand owner's son. Don't recall it being revealed before. Good to know another nugget of information to help document and improve provenance. I'll update the timeline accordingly.

Meanwhile, I took the liberty to enhance one of the original images of the book you posted. Basically, I enlarged the image and tried to remove the orange tint while improving clarity and restoring color values. Not sure I achieved the best possible result but the image looks somewhat better. Hope it represents the book's appearance of 40+ years ago.

That said, I must say that the spine looks quite round or "plump" in the old imagery. Quite the difference from how it appears now in the slabbed copy scans where it seems uncharacteristically flat.

MC-1_WC_RAW_CROPPED.jpg

MC-1_WC_RAW_ENHANCED.jpg

Ben Stothart was very reluctant to have his name mentioned in the past.  I tried to explain to him that he was a part of history but I believe he was more concerned about tax evasion since I paid him cash for the books back in the day.  He passed away in 2014 so I have no problem giving him his due today.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, MasterChief said:

That said, I must say that the spine looks quite round or "plump" in the old imagery. Quite the difference from how it appears now in the slabbed copy scans where it seems uncharacteristically flat.

MC-1_WC_RAW_CROPPED.jpg

MC-1_WC_RAW_ENHANCED.jpg

It doesn't have that long crease at the bottom of the top staple, either.