• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel #1
5 5

329 posts in this topic

I must be doing something wrong.  Before I posted I looked at the census and did again just now, I only see the a census for issue date of 11/39 and no other listing for a Marvel Comics #1 from 1939.  I knew the October would bring a premium, I was just musing how much more of a multiple if a 9.4 came to market.

Is there any data on print runs between the two?  

Thanks all.  It will be fun to watch.  I love this book and have always since I saw the cover as a kid in the early 70s.  Still hasn't lost its appeal to me.

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

It seems to me that the October and November copies should be listed on the census separately. 90k print run to a 900k print run ( if memory serves ) 

13 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Agreed - they are two separate and distinct issues of the same book.

10 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

An October copy SHOULD sell for a huge premium.  

8 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

If there were an October and November Marvel 1 - both identically graded and identical in appearance, the October version should bring the premium all day long.  The exception possibly being the Jacquet Pay Copy.                                              

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe oct have always brought some premium at time of sale when compared to nov copy 

35 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Congrats to Woo Woo and Primetime. #1 and #2 appear the clearest. The wishbone on the cheek seems to move around a lot as Primetime pointed out. 

marvel 1 registration examples labeled forum.jpg

Not only is there vast variation in the registration but there is also vast variation in the colours.  Look at the Torch's hair - it seems to range from pink to orange to red.  Look at the colours of the lettering.  There's a huge range of colours there too.

How can that be explained?  I can't think of any other book that has this scenario.  Some of the variations might be explained by photography but certainly not all of them.

23 minutes ago, telerites said:

I must be doing something wrong.  Before I posted I looked at the census and did again just now, I only see the a census for issue date of 11/39 and no other listing for a Marvel Comics #1 from 1939.  I knew the October would bring a premium, I was just musing how much more of a multiple if a 9.4 came to market.

Is there any data on print runs between the two?  

Thanks all.  It will be fun to watch.  I love this book and have always since I saw the cover as a kid in the early 70s.  Still hasn't lost its appeal to me.

If the highest known October copy is a 6.0 then a 9.4 October would/should bring a HUGE premium.

Printing runs that I've read are 80,000 (Oct) and 800,000 (Nov).  

Agreed about the appeal.  This book has a mega ton of cache.  

Edited by pemart1966

24 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Not only is there vast variation in the registration but there is also vast variation in the colours.  Look at the Torch's hair - it seems to range from pink to orange to red.  Look at the colours of the lettering.  There's a huge range of colours there too.

How can that be explained?  I can't think of any other book that has this scenario.  Some of the variations might be explained by photography but certainly not all of them.

Many Fiction House books have exactly that sort of variation due to uneven colour saturation during printing.

47 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

MC 1 has more character first appearances, more historical value, is rarer, and is just cooler IMHO.  So I'm hoping it beats out the CA 1 9.4.

Again, my bet is it won't. And Cap trumps the first appearance list of Marvel 1

17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Human Torch, Captain America, and Subby are pretty much co-equal in my mind, and there's a very good argument that HT and Subby were more important than CA during the GA.  They definitely had more GA appearances than CA (although Robin had more GA appearances than Batman, so maybe that doesn't matter).  

And Marvel Comics 1 is the first Marvel comic.  And that means a lot.  

So while you may end up being proven right, I don't think you should be.  We'll see.

20 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I’m in this camp but if this is the highest graded along with the fact that there are less known/ perceived existing copies by quite a margin I think this one gets the $ edge 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

No.  CA 1 is by far the more common in high grade.  9.8, 2x 9.4, 2x 9.2, 9.0, and undoubtedly more to be graded as its a 1941 book.

Human Torch #1 also has 6 copies in 9.0 or higher. What it is about Timely's that enabled more high grade copies to be preserved than their DC counterparts? Weren't read as much, or better cover stock?

Young Allies #1 has an amazing 10 copies in 9.0 universal or better, even All-Flash #1 (one of the most common DC keys from that period) only has 6 copies in 9.0 or better.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

No.  CA 1 is by far the more common in high grade.  9.8, 2x 9.4, 2x 9.2, 9.0, and undoubtedly more to be graded as its a 1941 book.

Whoa, hadn't realized there were so many!  CA 1 is the IH 181 of GA!

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

We're comparing the coming HA offering to...?

Verzyl family's Mile High copy.

But, the photo of the MH copy might be cropped.  The corners are super sharp and there seems to be less paper on the top AND bottom than on the 9.4. 

8 hours ago, telerites said:

I guess there is no census distinguishing between the October and November?  How much more would this bring if it were an October copy?

I think I remember @G.A.tor saying a 6.0 may the highest October?  Nic Cage's is a 5.0?

No and interesting that cgc does not even change the 11/39 date on their labels to 10/39 for October copies.