• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Man Phoenix

5 posts in this topic

Which comic issue is considered the 1st appearance of Old Man Phoenix. Wolverine as an Old Man with the Phoenix force. Not to be confused with the Old Man Logan character. He appeared in Thor vol 5 #1 when he had a cameo on the last page and again in the story in issue #5. Story line wise he is actually the Wolverine version that goes back in time to get one of the Infinity Stones in Marvel Legacy #1. CGC notes this particular appearance as Wolverine returns and not as the Old Man Phoenix character.

I may be splitting straws at this point. But I'm huge on keynotes being accurate on graded comics. I love having that keynote to refer to when bidding on a comic's worth or when a 1st appearance discussion arises.

14 hours ago, Justifidied said:

Which comic issue is considered the 1st appearance of Old Man Phoenix. Wolverine as an Old Man with the Phoenix force. Not to be confused with the Old Man Logan character. He appeared in Thor vol 5 #1 when he had a cameo on the last page and again in the story in issue #5. Story line wise he is actually the Wolverine version that goes back in time to get one of the Infinity Stones in Marvel Legacy #1. CGC notes this particular appearance as Wolverine returns and not as the Old Man Phoenix character.

I may be splitting straws at this point. But I'm huge on keynotes being accurate on graded comics. I love having that keynote to refer to when bidding on a comic's worth or when a 1st appearance discussion arises.

CGC is a grading company that sometimes adds notation to a comic book label. They are not the market determinant, nor always correct in what you are looking for.

52 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

CGC is a grading company that sometimes adds notation to a comic book label. They are not the market determinant, nor always correct in what you are looking for.

So I shouldn't care what the keynote says? Even if I like seeing it there? I know the market determines the price. I'm simply asking about the keynotes and what everyone in the community thinks his first appearance is. I've already been shot down twice by CGC customer service and Ask CGC forums.

10 minutes ago, Justifidied said:

So I shouldn't care what the keynote says? Even if I like seeing it there? I know the market determines the price. I'm simply asking about the keynotes and what everyone in the community thinks his first appearance is. I've already been shot down twice by CGC customer service and Ask CGC forums.

Yes, you are certainly allowed to like whatever you want. What I said was just because it's on a label, or not on a label, that doesn't mean it's correct.

For instance, CGC has still not put Naomi's first appearance on Naomi #1. A book that came out 6 months ago. Just one simple instance of many.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, you are certainly allowed to like whatever you want. What I said was just because it's on a label, or not on a label, that doesn't mean it's correct.

For instance, CGC has still not put Naomi's first appearance on Naomi #1. A book that came out 6 months ago. Just one simple instance of many.

Agreed, they are not standing authority. But I do like seeing the 1st appearance keynotes.

They used to be a little more receiving on the customer service side. They would respond to emails about 1st appearance requests. I assume they are over loaded with emails.