• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine w/ "Mask of the Phantasm"

2 posts in this topic

This weekend I attended a local ComicCon where I bought some old hobby magazines. One called “Superman & Batman Magazine” really captured my attention. There were multiple pages dedicated to the “Mask of the Phantasm” film. Originally planned for a direct-to-video release, Warner Bros. ultimately decided to give Mask of the Phantasm a theatrical release. The film was released on December 25, 1993. This magazine pre-dates the film. You can tell because the back cover says, “coming this holiday season to theaters everywhere.”

img_2955.jpg?w=700&h=

img_2956.jpg?w=700&h=

The interior pages were more than just a passing advertisement. The content dug deep into preliminary sketches, and the Mask of the Phantasm voice actors. It also included a jumbo-sized centerfold poster.

img_2958.jpg?w=656

In a world where collectors try to define “first appearances” and early cameos, I would like to submit that this magazine is just as important as the “official movie adaption” comic book. This could be the first time The Phantasm was ever in print. Anyways ... that's just my two cents.