• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Cover on Lower Grade Book

9 posts in this topic

Hi.  Just had my FF 5 graded.   Even though it was submitted with the cover attached in super secured packaging , it came back as a 2.5 with a detached cover noted on the front label.   I firmly believe the comic would have graded a 3.5 if the cover did not mysteriously become detached.  But since that will never be resolved and is a classic “whodunnit” this is not a complaint note and more of an inquiry.   My question is the comic in 2.5 that lists for $3,300 in Gocollect worth that price?  Since I am already paying the price for the cover being detached through a Lower grade would my book be worth a 2.5 or because CGC explicitly noted that the cover was detached is my book worth less and not as desirable?   I’d be interested in any opinions.  

Edited by Fred P
wanted to focus on legitimate question as opposed to complaining

2 hours ago, Fred P said:

Hi.  Just had my FF 5 graded.   Even though it was submitted with the cover attached in super secured packaging , it came back as a 2.5 with a detached cover noted on the front label.   I firmly believe the comic would have graded a 3.5 if the cover did not mysteriously become detached.  But since that will never be resolved and is a classic “whodunnit” this is not a complaint note and more of an inquiry.   My question is the comic in 2.5 that lists for $3,300 in Gocollect worth that price?  Since I am already paying the price for the cover being detached through a Lower grade would my book be worth a 2.5 or because CGC explicitly noted that the cover was detached is my book worth less and not as desirable?   I’d be interested in any opinions.  

do you have pics of the book front and back cover as well as grader notes? 

I would say detached cover is less desirable than attached covers but if the book looks better than the actual grade it might sell better depending on the buyer.

Here are a few pictures if it helps.   It looks like the staples are somewhat attached but I’d have to break the seal which I won’t do to find out for sure.   The detached cover comment is what is creating my concern and making me wonder if I would be able to sell it and receive the amount of $ that a 2.5 copy warrants.   Thank you all for any opinions  or advice.  

F541ECF0-8B73-426A-B596-ACC72284E3E6.jpeg

53316B55-20AC-4C02-94CA-3B94DA0FFE28.jpeg

1AC7FB30-355B-40B8-8D6E-997335BB1735.jpeg

Thanks for all the input.   I do think this could and should be a 3.5 had not the cover become or was deemed detached.  I have heard of people who seek these books out because they are generally in better shape than their grade.   The feedback so far leads me to believe there is some merit to this.  The detached comment was totally unexpected as it was attached when I submitted it so I have had mixed feelings about this purchase and the grading process in general.    I guess the overall good news is this book will keep increasing in value if Doom gets his due on the big screen.

I dont think this book is a 3.5 as there is a lot of staining all around the cover and water damage I think a 2.5 is right where it should be presenting as well as technical grade. staining and watermarks are hammered by CGC but also by a lot of collectors. assuming there is that much staining on the back cover as well. 

22 hours ago, Fred P said:

Thanks for all the input.   I do think this could and should be a 3.5 had not the cover become or was deemed detached.  I have heard of people who seek these books out because they are generally in better shape than their grade.   The feedback so far leads me to believe there is some merit to this.  The detached comment was totally unexpected as it was attached when I submitted it so I have had mixed feelings about this purchase and the grading process in general.    I guess the overall good news is this book will keep increasing in value if Doom gets his due on the big screen.

If CGC noted the detached cover on the label, that would mean the cover is fully detached. However, this book still has pretty good eye appeal. I think you'd get a decent price for it if you ever decide to sell it...  

Edited by The Lions Den