• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Marvel acquisition - All Steve Jobs fault

10 posts in this topic

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cofounder-steve-jobs-helped-disney-buy-marvel-2019-9

"In 2009, after our very successful acquisition of Pixar, we were interested in acquiring Marvel, so I met with Steve and walked him through the business," Iger said. "He claimed to have never read a comic book in his life ('I hate them more than I hate video games,' he told me), so I brought an encyclopedia of Marvel characters with me to explain the universe to him and show him what we would be buying. He spent about 10 seconds looking at it, then pushed it aside and said, 'Is this one important to you? Do you really want it? Is it another Pixar?'"

Jobs was the majority shareholder of Pixar, which Disney acquired in 2006. He was also a board member of The Walt Disney Company.

"I told [Jobs] that I wasn't sure if it was another Pixar, but they had great talent at the company, and the content was so rich that if we held the IP, it would put some real distance between us and everyone else," Iger said.

Iger said that he asked Jobs to reach out to Marvel's chairman and former CEO Ike Perlmutter to "vouch for me."

1 hour ago, romanheart said:

Disney's business model is comprised in large part by intellectual property and licensing characters.

I bet they are shocked at how well Marvel was for them as compared to Pixar's acquisition. Although both were good purchases on their part.

Yup

i just wonder how involved they are with ip/character development tho

:ohnoez::ohnoez: what have we done..... lol 

even if he hated comics and video games.. he was a business man with a passion and recognized potential and passion as well as good business decisions.

I’m curious whether Steve truly saw the INCREDIBLE potential in Marvel at the time when pitching it to Ike. 

By reading the article you can assume that he was biased against it because of his strong dislike to comic books (even tho suggested sarcastically) and, well, since his involvement with Pixar. 

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I’m curious whether Steve truly saw the INCREDIBLE potential in Marvel at the time when pitching it to Ike. 

By reading the article you can assume that he was biased against it because of his strong dislike to comic books (even tho suggested sarcastically) and, well, since his involvement with Pixar. 

well I think it was more the passion and potential of putting the correct idea/product into the right passionate hands as he asked iger this 

'Is this one important to you? Do you really want it?

like dragons den or shark tank. Sometimes the investors might not like the product but they might love the person and the passion they have. So they invest in that passion as if you have a amazing product but put it into a persons hands who just there for names sake it won't take off but if you put it into someone who loves that thing or is extremely passionate and will give their best it could become amazing as that person will push that extra do that bit more sell that much harder. people respond well to passion and enthusiasm.

14 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Jobs was, ultimately, a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, IMO. 

Job's legacy is a complicated one.  On one hand he is a very driven person with a deeply rooted vision.  On another, yes, he was definitely a jerk.  It is interesting to me that someone who was so obviously inspired by Star Trek frowned upon comic books.