• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can cgc witness go in my place to get it signed/witnessed?

11 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, newguy01010 said:

Do I have to meet up with the cgc witness or physically be there. If mid town comics were having a signing and I live in the west coast is it possible for cgc witness to go in our place/witness the signing. Thank you 

It is possible, but it has to be an approved event and the witness will typically be working with a facilitator who will have procedures and protocols in place that you will need to comply with, and fees that you will need to pay. Your question reads (to me) to be asking whether you can say "Hey CGC go witness some books for me in NYC!"  You cannot do that.  Or actually you can, but it won't turn out the way you want it to.

there is a 'Signature Room' subforum here on the boards.  You will find more information about signings and witnesses if you dig around a bit, as well as a 'noob thread' which is highly encouraged reading.  ADDITIONALLY, you can consider contacting Midtown to see if any facilitators or CGC witnesses will be coming, and then probably contact the facilitators from there. 

In your specific scenario, your best case scenario is probably this:

1.  Find a CGC SS FACILITATOR who is attending whichever specific signing you're interested in. " The CGC FACILITATOR takes your book(s), get them signed and witnessed, and submits them to CGC for you."

2.  Contact that CGC SS Facilitator.

3.  Work out the details with that CGC SS Facilitator, including but not limited to:  Fees, payment, timing, paperwork, insurance, shipping, various addresses, risk, other questions.

4.  Send the CGC SS Facilitator the books and pay him/her the moneys (as previously discussed).

5.  The CGC SS Facilitator will get the books signed and submit them to CGC for you, hopefully in a timely manner with good communication.

6.  The details and timing of getting your books back may vary with some factors, but you should have worked them out with your facilitator already.

You may have more questions by now, I encourage to go to the Signature Room, and read the 'newbie' thread first before asking them.

22 hours ago, seanfingh said:

It is possible, but it has to be an approved event and the witness will typically be working with a facilitator who will have procedures and protocols in place that you will need to comply with, and fees that you will need to pay. Your question reads (to me) to be asking whether you can say "Hey CGC go witness some books for me in NYC!"  You cannot do that.  Or actually you can, but it won't turn out the way you want it to.

Curious as to why that would not work.  Is it an ethics thing?

At one point another board member and myself were considering answering the call from a few years ago when CGC was looking for witnesses.  We figured we could always get the CGC certification as that could be useful for certain shows and events where CGC did not have a presence.   Now going to a midtown thing is no big deal.  I rarely if ever go, but it's not out of the way.  If I had gone through with becoming a CGC witness, what would have been the issue for me to drag a friend with me to actually 'ask' for the signature at a place like Midtown and myself serving as the witness, at your request and in your absence?

To me it's kind of like what the facilitators do with private signings. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

At one point another board member and myself were considering answering the call from a few years ago when CGC was looking for witnesses.  We figured we could always get the CGC certification as that could be useful for certain shows and events where CGC did not have a presence.   Now going to a midtown thing is no big deal.  I rarely if ever go, but it's not out of the way.  If I had gone through with becoming a CGC witness, what would have been the issue for me to drag a friend with me to actually 'ask' for the signature at a place like Midtown and myself serving as the witness, at your request and in your absence?

Witnesses can't get their own books signed if they are witnessing. Facilitators have their own sets of rules. There has to be transparency.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

interesting thought.

I wonder what the process is that you have to go through to become a CGC witness. also is it for just that show or will you always be a witness then? If your a witness all the time can shady stuff happen then?

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

interesting thought.

I wonder what the process is that you have to go through to become a CGC witness. also is it for just that show or will you always be a witness then? If your a witness all the time can shady stuff happen then?

It never got too far in the thought process. After watching all too often what cgc deals with we realized it wasn’t worth the aggravation.

6 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Witnesses can't get their own books signed if they are witnessing. Facilitators have their own sets of rules. There has to be transparency.

What if I paid for the price of two witness? Do you think I should call cgc and ask after snooping around in the forums. I dont see this asked though

Edited by newguy01010

1 minute ago, newguy01010 said:
6 hours ago, seanfingh said:

What if I paid for the price of two witness?

don't worry about the specific rules and the side discussion for now.  Basically you're interested in a CGC SS Facilitator (its a thing) going to that signing, to whom you can send your books, and they will get them signed and submitted to CGC (all for a fee of course).

1. Dig around the Signature Room subforum for information. (read the newbie thread)

2.  Contact Midtown and ask them directly about their witness (or CGC witness).

3.  Contact CGC and ask them directly.

4.  If after doing all three of those you have no leads, come back and give name the dates and the creator and see if anyone can help you.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, Krismusic said:

interesting thought.

CGC witnesses are on a pr. show basis. I, for instance, will be a witness at NYCC, but this doesn't mean I can go witness books being signed at random Store X the following week.