• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I sketch digital and ink traditional?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this doubt

If you are a collector, what do you think if I make the sketch with Clip Studio Paint and its editing tools, then I trace it on a paper and finally I ink it tradicional (with real ink)? 

It's 50% digital, 50% traditional, but will you consider it OA or not?

Will you buy it if you know that the process wasn't made with a real blue pencil?

I want to be a cover artist but I don't know what to do. (Going full digital) or (sketch digital+ink tradicional+sell the piece like OA) 

I'm very worried about this. I'd like to earn money selling mis pieces, but I don't want people think I'm a swindler

Edited by darkblue2104

17 hours ago, darkblue2104 said:

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this doubt

If you are a collector, what do you think if I make the sketch with Clip Studio Paint and its editing tools, then I trace it on a paper and finally I ink it tradicional (with real ink)? 

It's 50% digital, 50% traditional, but will you consider it OA or not?

Will you buy it if you know that the process wasn't made with a real blue pencil?

I want to be a cover artist but I don't know what to do. (Going full digital) or (sketch digital+ink tradicional+sell the piece like OA) 

I'm very worried about this. I'd like to earn money selling mis pieces, but I don't want people think I'm a swindler

If you are the sole creator of the artwork, I do not see an issue with you working digitally then inking the final piece. One question, what does "trace onto paper" mean? Do you printout the digital file onto paper then ink over it? DO you print it out then redraw in pencil on a separate sheet then ink it?

Either way a number of artists do their preliminary work digitally then ink traditionally. I don't see it effecting the price you sell the final inked product. Since its all you. If you were inking someone who penciled digitally then inked over a printout or lightbox then it would effect value. But since you are the sole contributor to the final inked piece I dont see an issue.

21 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

If you are the sole creator of the artwork, I do not see an issue with you working digitally then inking the final piece. One question, what does "trace onto paper" mean? Do you printout the digital file onto paper then ink over it? DO you print it out then redraw in pencil on a separate sheet then ink it?

Either way a number of artists do their preliminary work digitally then ink traditionally. I don't see it effecting the price you sell the final inked product. Since its all you. If you were inking someone who penciled digitally then inked over a printout or lightbox then it would effect value. But since you are the sole contributor to the final inked piece I dont see an issue.

My thinking is the same as Brian's 

Malvin 

41 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

First, the easy part. I would not buy a purely digital image. I went through that soul searching a while ago.

Second, yes I would buy it and have bought them in the past. But, I prefer seeing the orignal pencil marks.

With published artwork by different penciler and inkers. The pencils are usually erased and are only present under the inks.

I have bought digital pencil with traditional inks by 1 artist - but it's not optimal.  I generally am old school and value such art far less than if it were 100%o paper.  If all the great artists of the past and some of today's top guys can do it straight on paper - there is no reason why any current artist couldn't do so too if they wanted to.  If an artist wants to use tricks on the computer (rely on digital tools/shortcuts)- I get it, but to me that makes it worth less as a piece of art. Maybe publishers dont care - but as a collector I see it as a negative relative to value placed on it.  My 2 cents.

Edited by Panelfan1

I believe Jenny Frison (and I'm sure many others) operates similarly.  That is, she starts digital, prints out a copy and uses a pencil just for the line work.  Then she rescans that and prints the pencils onto a gray toned paper and finishes traditionally with copics, acrylic, chalk, washes and such for a finished piece.  I have no issue as I purchased a cover a while back.