• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Black Hammer Appreciation Thread - New OA on 11/16

70 posts in this topic

Easter Eggs

In an interconnected universe of heroes, one-shots, narratives, mini-series, and more, opportunities abound for hidden gems and clues within each story. Here are two easter eggs I uncovered…

Black Hammer: Cthu-Louis 1 (one-shot): Outlines the Battle of Ypres (complete story told in Black Hammer ’45 issues 1-4)

Black Hammer: Quantum Age 6: Set in the future, the character dialogue outlines the conclusion of Black of Hammer: Age of Doom

The First Appearance of SkullDigger (in a cameo role)

Jeff has SkullDigger’s first appearance in the upcoming SkullDigger and Skeleton Boy #1 (per his Encyclopedia), but SkullDigger shows up on a TV screen in Doctor Star #2, and Wingman laments the changing world of vigilantes, pointing to SkullDigger's unconventional ways, in his bar room conversation with Doctor Star.

Four Breakout (Mini) Series

In addition to the main 27-issue Black Hammer run pictured above (BH 1-13 + BH Age of Doom 1-13 + BH Annual 1), some characters coloring the Black Hammer universe broke out into stories of their own, enriching their world one narrative at a time. Here are those series (20 issues in total) in pictures…

Original Art

As a Black Hammer collector, having gathered the universe in all its 47 issue comic book glory, I turned my attention to original art. While more pieces are on their way (due to arrive from overseas by late October), I do have one work of art in hand thanks to JC, my friend in the OA world…

On 9/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, chrisco37 said:

Astro City is a series written by Kurt Busiek (Marvels).  Based on what you said earlier about discovering an interconnected world of heroes & villains, I figure you would enjoy the series.  It's been years (more than 10) since I've read it, so I don't recall the details of the story.  I just remember thinking, "Man, this is good stuff".  It's a brand new set of heroes and villains (ie, not Marvel or DC); some will feel familiar, while others are "brand new".  Really good stuff.  Multiple Eisner & Harvey awards.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_City

Kurt Busiek's Astro City is an American superhero anthology comic book series centered on a fictional American city of that name. Created and written by Kurt Busiek, the series is mostly illustrated by Brent Anderson, with character designs and painted covers by Alex Ross.

The first volume was published from 1995 to 1996 by Image Comics. In 1996, a second volume was launched under the Homage Comics imprint of Image partner studio WildStorm, which was then acquired by DC Comics, where the series later transitioned to the WildStorm Signature Series imprint and continued until 2010. During this period it switched from a regular ongoing series to a sequence of periodic mini-series and special issues. A third, ongoing volume was launched under DC's Vertigo imprint in 2013[1][2] and concluded in 2018, reverting to occasional miniseries and original graphic novels. Counting all series, mini-series and special issues, over 100 issues have been published.[3

Astro city and Black Hammer are definitely kindred spirits ...