• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

%100 I told my friend about what I wanted I said I offered him $1100 why don't you offer him $1000. The seller didnt respond to my friend, the seller responded to me. The seller could have said he wasnt interested, but he said I'll accept your offer, submit it and I'll sell it to you.

ok so your answer is: yes you did shill buy and if that did influence the seller to sell to you then I guess it could be considered successful shilling, but we wouldn't know unless the seller says or speaks on whether it did influence him to get a lower offer in.

as you did collude to gain a advantage. So you technically did complete the action. which means you did shill or collude.

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

ok so your answer is: yes you did shill buy and if that did influence the seller to sell to you then I guess it could be considered successful shilling, but we wouldn't know unless the seller says or speaks on whether it did influence him to get a lower offer in.

as you did collude to gain a advantage. So you technically did complete the action. which means you did shill or collude.

Guess I'm guilty of shilling than

I'm going to message the seller right now and ask him if he was somehow influenced by anyone else during our business deals than I'll sell the product back to him for the price he sold it to me.

I'll post his response here

Edited by Hollywood1892

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Guess I'm guilty of shilling than

I'm going to message the seller right now and ask him if he was somehow influenced by anyone else during our business deals than I'll sell the product back to him for the price he sold it to me.

I'll post his response here

well it takes two people to agree on the deal so one party can't take all the fault. I would suggest just not to collude with your friend again put your best offer or offer that your comfortable with and see where it goes from there. you will always feel better as a person when you know you obtain or did something ethically without being shady. 

22 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

well it takes two people to agree on the deal so one party can't take all the fault. I would suggest just not to collude with your friend again put your best offer or offer that your comfortable with and see where it goes from there. you will always feel better as a person when you know you obtain or did something ethically without being shady. 

This is my friends email

A jury would acquit me

Edited by Hollywood1892

35 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is my friends email

A jury would acquit me

I thought you said you told your buddy to offer him 1000$? 

well if your buddy wasn't at all interest its still colluding but the successfulness of it might be a FAIL lol 

Edited by Krishosein
removed email to protect seller name

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I thought you said you told your buddy to offer him 1000$? 

well if your buddy wasn't at all interest its still colluding but the successfulness of it might be a FAIL lol 

Guess they didnt offer them money.

But I got the comics I wanted at a reasonable price that the seller and I agreed upon.

5 minutes ago, D84 said:

If they didn't send an offer, it's not shilling. 

ehhhh… its still shilling/colluding as the action to work together to get a lower price was the action which is unethical. Their success well not so much as they didn't do it properly. But like I stated it depends on whether is friend was interested in the book or was just doing that convo for the sake of his buddy is where it would be defined as unethical and shilling. 

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

ehhhh… its still shilling/colluding as the action to work together to get a lower price was the action which is unethical. Their success well not so much as they didn't do it properly. But like I stated it depends on whether is friend was interested in the book or was just doing that convo for the sake of his buddy is where it would be defined as unethical and shilling. 

Trying to negotiate a good deal for yourself one that both you and the seller are satisfied with isnt unethical.

If your friend makes your deal look more appealing I find it more shrewd than unethical.

Well if that is done with and we've learned not to do that then I have a different question....

I've noticed something and wonder if it is shilling as well....

If you list an item and then view it on your laptop and then view it on your phone and vice versa a bunch of times....

You can make your item appear "to have a bunch of 'views as if people are interested in your listing"...

Is this shilling?

I noticed it when people would post links to crazy priced eBay listings on the boards and I'd click the link to view and it would show up on fire with a 100 views already...

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well if that is done with and we've learned not to do that then I have a different question....

If you list an item and then view it on your laptop and then view it on your phone and vice versa a bunch of times....

You can make your item appear "to have a bunch of 'views as if people are interested in your listing"...

Is this shilling?

I noticed it when people would post links to crazy priced eBay listings on the boards and I'd click the link to view and it would show up on fire with a 100 views already...

:foryou:lol

No comment....

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe not technically shilling, but pretty lame regardless.

To be nice, I’d call it shenanigans.

Sure

Shenanigans...

I conduct most of my buying on my own, and I find people on Ebay over price their items.

I like to barter, I never want to pay the price they are asking.

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is this shilling?

technical sense if your doing it for your own item its not shilling. when you involve another party intentionally then I would say its shilling. I think the key people are missing is the collusion that occurs from shilling. the collusion or act of collusion is the unethical part in most circumstances. 

Damn I feel like a lawyer... trying to define a grey area to argue for a jury of my peers. lol 

Seems to be an ineffective strategy because you must always be the high offer.  Why not flip it - have the friend place the higher offer then cancel/return and have a frustrated seller turn to you and your significantly lower offer.:devil: