• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Badger said:

This is lifted directly from Heritage's Terms of Service. Shill bidding is legal in Texas.

21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors.

Full Terms and Conditions at Heritage's site

I'm so glad I don't use those guys.

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

I'm so glad I don't use those guys.

Im a little surprised Texas allows it.

On the other hand, they finally made it a felony to take packages off other people's porches! :headbang:

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Well it is larceny.

and you'd think with mail it would be a federal issue, idk, i guess depending on carrier....

but ya it was on the news a lot last year...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

It’s actually unethical 

i agree but seems pointless to an extent ..... i mean, is it a "scheme" that fools someone or is it just that the intent is that it's meant to that makes it unethical?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Legal dictionary definition:

Collusion. An agreement between two or more people to defraud a person of his or her rights or to obtain something that is prohibited by law. A secret arrangement wherein two or more people whose legal interests seemingly conflict conspire to commit Fraud upon another person; a pact between two people to deceive a court with the purpose of obtaining something that they would not be able to get ...

So I don't think what he did meets any of that even if it is shady

Webster:

Collusion definition is - secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose.

How is this deceitful? Two offers were made. Sure the lower one is there to make the higher one look better, but where is the deceit? Hollywood thinks his high offer is a good offer.

Like I said, the collusion committed by the OP is probably not "illegal" but clearly unethical (beyond "shady").

How is it deceitful?

Imagine the OP sending this message to the seller before putting in his own bid/offer:

"Hey there, I like your item but I think your price is too high. So instead of just putting in my offer alone for you to consider - I'm going to put my offer in and then my friend (who has no intention of buying at all) is going to put a lower offer than me, to make you think that my offer is a better deal. Again, me and my friend agreed to do this beforehand so that you'll be more inclined to sell it to me at my price, which benefits me more than you.

Signed, Colluder #1"

Now... why would the OP NOT send this message to "open a dialogue" with the seller (as he says he's so keen to do)?

Hmm, what reason could the OP have to NOT want to send such a message?

Is the message untrue? No.

Is the messagge a pretty clear explanation of what the OP is doing? Yup.

So, why not just tell the seller this?

Maybe it's DECEITFUL to collude with a friend and have him pretend to be interested in buying and put in a phony lowball offer just so that YOUR offer will look better to the seller/sucker/mark that the two colluders are working over!

Edited by jcjames

9 hours ago, vheflin said:

Seems to be an ineffective strategy because you must always be the high offer.  Why not flip it - have the friend place the higher offer then cancel/return and have a frustrated seller turn to you and your significantly lower offer.:devil:

Now we’re getting somewhere :idea: