• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Is this the new Ebay trend? I've gotten a few offers thru emails on books that have a set price.

Definetely!  Always set your price knowing people will want a discount.  People are frugal and only getting cheaper.

29 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I just use BIN/best offer for everything.(shrug)

Smart way to do it.  But I find you have to price the book at $20 if you want to get $15 - $17 for it just because everyone is deal happy and usually won't buy the book unless they feel like they got a discount.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Smart way to do it.  But I find you have to price the book at $20 if you want to get $15 - $17 for it just because everyone is deal happy and usually won't buy the book unless they feel like they got a discount.

I’ve had a few BINs popped because I priced too low, but I usually leave room to haggle.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, Krishosein said:

no I think its unethical, its colluding, yes how successful it is might be a separate issue but the act of colluding is still the same unethical action. 

I accomplished the goal of bringing light to unethical practices - regardless of whatever term we'd use to describe said practice. That's what matters.

Backtracking a single instance doesn't corroborate innocence, either. < This isn't aimed at you.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

I need some help when it comes to the definition of "shilling". I understand its reference to bidding.

But if I am buying a product and I make an offer, and my friend makes an offer that is less than my offer, is that shilling.

In my defense the seller always has the option of declining both offers, whereas when it comes to pushing a bid higher, they have reached a point of no return.

Thanks

Don't... don't do that.

:(

-slym