• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Batman 251 worth getting pressed?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have a Batman 251 which is in not great condition (see pics), but it is my favorite!  I'm thinking of getting this pressed & then having Neal Adams sign it next time he is around, then possibly submitting it to CGC.  I currently own a Batman 251 CGC 8.0

Should I bother/is it worth it getting this pressed & cleaned?  What additional value would I get from this b/c it is in not great condition?  Should I just get Neal Adams's signature & be happy with it?

Feedback greatly appreciated!

2D6F1ACA-55C5-469D-9A40-7D95C9667BFA.jpeg

25345CA4-F32C-4CF4-808E-BA7899A9C8E3.jpeg

001C879E-D493-464F-BF33-9F113EB3DA74.jpeg

940DD16F-3E05-40BA-B3C0-65FD1DF55A7C.jpeg

AAAA5F23-0464-4DB4-854F-2500CB26B9FA.jpeg

3923741F-CC56-4B9E-A190-6AEE41286FE8.jpeg

6520423A-9860-4544-8A1E-6091979B1E5D.jpeg

957D9A06-B118-4C0E-8E2E-C310E51D0540.jpeg

C4B3DB8E-64A5-454C-86ED-B956B26710F4.jpeg

Edited by brownies8701
Add pics

I'd think the cost of a Neal sig (and I believe he charges more if you're submitting it to CGC) plus the pressing/SS grading fee wouldn't leave much room for profit in this condition if you're looking to sell it.

Now if you just want a Neal Adams sig for your own personal satisfaction (and I'm a big Neal fan - if I can ever get to a con where he's at , I'd love to get my Sup vs Ali signed) then by all means

This book has other problems that a press will not fix. There are numerous color-breaking creases on the front, there is at least piece missing from the spine, and many of the corners are blunted. I would not pay a pressing fee, a fee from Neal Adams, and a CGC grading fee on this book.

If I were you, I would take your 8.0 to a convention where Neal Adams will be. Trust me; these are not hard to find. Get it signed and witnessed with a significantly better book. Yes, you run the risk of getting a slightly lower grade, but the witnessed Neal Adams signature may balance this out.

Keep in mind that I am not a comic book dealer, nor do I play one on TV.

Joe

Most of this is just a math question, one with readily available objective numbers (shipping, pressing, grading, insurance, signing, etc) MOSTLY 

The subjective and variable part is the actual grades (now and after pressing) and the realizeable potential revenues in both instances.  Sounds like most people are saying 3.5-4.0, with at most a chance of raising a half grade.  You can do some light research on ebay and GPA to figure out selling process.  So you can make now estimate the ranges of increased revenue from marginal improvements, and then you can weigh those against your own cost/revenue/time/collection preferences.

But ultimately its up to you, everyone's math is different, and based on their own financial situation, experiences, collection preferences, time and effort preferences, etc.  Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your input & feedback!

Some additional info...I ended up getting this issue 10+ years ago as part of a Batman collection of about 100 comics for $10 so there is very, very little financial investment.  

I hadn't thought about cracking my 8.0 and getting it signed.  I would be bothered if it did grade lower than an 8 :(

4 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

This book has other problems that a press will not fix. There are numerous color-breaking creases on the front, there is at least piece missing from the spine, and many of the corners are blunted. I would not pay a pressing fee, a fee from Neal Adams, and a CGC grading fee on this book.

If I were you, I would take your 8.0 to a convention where Neal Adams will be. Trust me; these are not hard to find. Get it signed and witnessed with a significantly better book. Yes, you run the risk of getting a slightly lower grade, but the witnessed Neal Adams signature may balance this out.

Keep in mind that I am not a comic book dealer, nor do I play one on TV.

Joe

Rough Fees are over $100.00 

Adams currently $50.00, CSS $12.00, CGC $30.00 than shipping, say $16.00 

My guess on grade unpressed is 3-3.5 with a great press maybe a 4. If you have less than $100 into the book with signing the book might be worth $200.00.  Sell the book and use the money and a little more and buy a better book to invest in.

prob not from a pure financial stand point, I would say but everyone grades and presses for different reasons.

8 hours ago, Krishosein said:

prob not from a pure financial stand point, I would say but everyone grades and presses for different reasons.

True, but when I do it for other than financial reasons I don't ask for advise..."Should I bother/is it worth it getting this pressed & cleaned?  What additional value would I get from this b/c it is in not great condition?  Should I just get Neal Adams's signature & be happy with it?" What additional Value was the question as I read art. I agree about getting some books graded because of emotional attachment. 

Feedback greatly appreciated!"

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, brownies8701 said:

Thanks everyone for your input & feedback!

Some additional info...I ended up getting this issue 10+ years ago as part of a Batman collection of about 100 comics for $10 so there is very, very little financial investment.  

I hadn't thought about cracking my 8.0 and getting it signed.  I would be bothered if it did grade lower than an 8 :(

Yes, but let's talk eye appeal. Having Neal sign a cover that you not only like, but when also free from all those distracting, eye-appeal killing, major defects, will net you a beautiful collectible piece that will pop.