• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk Art Portfolios of the 70's and 80's.

9 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

I missed the boat on these. Were they popular in their time? Is there a market for them today?

StarlinMetOdyssey-G.thumb.jpg.530dc9d54b85699a2a56a48019d66d09.jpg2694020.jpg.6d7c7bd416d739f7f14e4f241638cbcc.jpg

Not familiar with the top one but know the Adams one. Neal Adams one is nice, its in full color. The cover is a bit misleading since its pencils, I would have preferred a portfolio of his pencils.

You can get a LOT of them second-hand.  Not aware of the print runs... so not sure how popular.

I have Adams' Tarzan B, Mike Nasser's Starspawn, Berni Wrightson's Apparitions, Nestor Redondo's Men, Maiden and Myths

And a couple more.

My favorite... Paul Gulacy's Black Widow portfolio by Sal Quartuccio Productions.

Getting back to original art... where's the art to the cover/envelope ??

blackwidow.jpg.92c6dfbd184f4d2cf9929c1bda3fa82b.jpg

John Buscema Conan Portfolio published by Sal Quartuccio Productions in 1980

Has some really nice examples by Big John pencils and inks.

lf-1.jpeg.6edf63191e6f871ccb8834172ba15c26.jpeg

I am fortunate to own the original art for the best plate (#4). Most of the original art for the portfolio has appeared publically, except plate #2.

Conan_Portfolio_plate_4.thumb.jpg.e54cb95973a8de4ff1243ed4028c92f6.jpg

Also Frank Thorne Wizards and Warrior Women Portfolio published by Schanes and Schanes (1978)

2038327047_WWW_port.jpg.c50cc6c395ea42f09ea1372f1eec466b.jpg

One plate has the first published appearance of Ghita of Alizarr before appearing in Warren 1984 publication. I own originals to four plates, great examples by Frank

PlkfC1ty_1608151929011.jpg

yes, some really good portfolios from sqp- the Black Widow by Gulacy, 2 really good Marvel Team Ups, the Michael Golden Doctor Strange, the Starlin Metamorphosis Odyssey............... there is a really nice one by Frank Brunner called "Stormbringer, the world of Elric"............ 

GulacyBlackWidowPortfolioPlate.jpg

I would get mine at an independent book store at the mall.  They sold new comics and had a bunch of portfolios.  They just sat there and you could open the envelopes.  I took me a while before I bit the bullet and got the Black Widow.  I'm not a Marvel guy and but really liked Gulacy's art.  My local comic shop carried a small selection.  Sal Q also did mail order.  I don't specifically remember but I guess you could also get them at conventions. 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, Blastaar said:

Where would you get these back on the day?

Used to be called Alan Light's TBG (The Buyer's Guide) tabloid-sized comics adzine. From Gorblimey Press: BWS circa 1974 'Tupenny Conan' plates from 1 of the earliest portfolios:

qeuLhMm.jpg