• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To remove or not a sticker on SA cover?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi folks.  Let’s assume a FF#67 that some fool disrespected by placing a dime-sized rectangular price sticker at the mid-bottom of front cover, obscuring “Power” where it says “Power of Him”.   Assume further that the book w/o the sticker is at least a blue label 8.0.   

How would CGC grade this book with the sticker (assuming it’s an 8.0 w/o the sticker)?  Would it get a qualified grade, and if so what?  Or a universal, but if so what?  

But also wondering what grade would be expected if the sticker were removed and some glue residue remained (making clear the dimensions of the now-removed sticker).  

So main question is whether you recommend removal of the sticker.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.  

Edited by Pantodude
Boo boo

7 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I saw a video somewhere wear they used a solution to peal the sticker off and it didn't affect the book

CGC did it.

I am absolutely recommending that you DO NOT try it.

Contact CGC Directly or youtube CGC sticker removal.

great advice ,,, if it is a mega-key then let the experts do it

just peel it who cares lol. BTW just joking.

I would leave that to CCS or a pro to remove that sticker. I would NOT try it yourself you could potential make it worse. 

Edited by Krishosein
its monday spelling baddd

On 9/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, Pantodude said:

Assume further that the book w/o the sticker is at least a blue label 8.0.   

How would CGC grade this book with the sticker (assuming it’s an 8.0 w/o the sticker)?  Would it get a qualified grade, and if so what?  Or a universal, but if so what?  

But also wondering what grade would be expected if the sticker were removed and some glue residue remained (making clear the dimensions of the now-removed sticker). 

In the 8.0 range, I don't think the sticker will have much impact on the CGC grade. Assuming the sticker has been on it for probably 50 years, I would not try to remove it. There's too much chance of damage. Removing the sticker would be very apparent and probably make the grade worse. 

28 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In the 8.0 range, I don't think the sticker will have much impact on the CGC grade. Assuming the sticker has been on it for probably 50 years, I would not try to remove it. There's too much chance of damage. Removing the sticker would be very apparent and probably make the grade worse. 

Thanks

The thing is, comic book paper from that era is much more delicate and fragile than some other types of collectibles (such as paperback book covers, for example). It's almost impossible to peel off a sticker that's been stuck onto a comic for many years without taking some of the paper with it. And Bomber Bob is right, leaving the sticker on the book would be a better alternative than trying to pull it off and leaving an ugly looking scar...