• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a picture frame for a silver age comic book... any suggestions?

8 posts in this topic

Sold off all my comics, except an ASM #59 representing the first comic I ever bought at a newsstand (1st grade, I think).

s-l300.jpg

I want to frame it... not in a plastic job, but a wooden frame. Anybody know of an off-the-shelf solution for this? I've looked on Amazon, but those seem sized for moderns.

Edited by oldrover

I'm in the same boat. Sold my ASM collection but held back a few gems. #59 being one of them, such a sweet cover, one of the best for sure.

I would like to frame mine too but I smoke a lot of bud and the smoke destroys things over time. I was thinking I should tape the mylar fully, then it would be just the frame that gets damaged. Or maybe I should just hang them in my bedroom hm

A4 is a good size for silver age but would need a nice mount sized correctly for the mylar. Not a standard size in the States though.

img20190113_12360805.thumb.jpg.4e5a625ae69934c330df69da22aeff8e.jpg

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

I want to frame it... not in a plastic job, but a wooden frame. Anybody know of an off-the-shelf solution for this? I've looked on Amazon, but those seem sized for moderns

...I would go to a bespoke framing shop for your book. They have the expertise in this area and prices (in my experience) are very reasonable.

7 hours ago, Dan82 said:

I'm in the same boat. Sold my ASM collection but held back a few gems. #59 being one of them, such a sweet cover, one of the best for sure.

I would like to frame mine too but I smoke a lot of bud and the smoke destroys things over time. I was thinking I should tape the mylar fully, then it would be just the frame that gets damaged. Or maybe I should just hang them in my bedroom hm

A4 is a good size for silver age but would need a nice mount sized correctly for the mylar. Not a standard size in the States though.

img20190113_12360805.thumb.jpg.4e5a625ae69934c330df69da22aeff8e.jpg

Aside from a little touch of edge toning, this looks really nice. You should definitely submit this for grading, it'll score real well, the book will be safely archived once slabbed and you can get one of those acrylic stands to place it maybe in or on top of a locking curio cabinet.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Aside from a little touch of edge toning, this looks really nice. You should definitely submit this for grading, it'll score real well, the book will be safely archived once slabbed and you can get one of those acrylic stands to place it maybe in or on top of a locking curio cabinet.

I can be a real insufficiently_thoughtful_person sometimes! 

Here I am talking about frames and avoidance of smoke damage, and the answer all along is in the top left corner of my screen. Can't see the wood for the trees!

Thanks for stating the obvious James, I'd love to send this for an official grade, this and many others too, my problem is I always find a better use for the cash. It doesn't help that CGC is 30% more expensive here in the UK (for some tiers) and then there's the shipping and insurance which would be very much more too. Then the fact I would have to drive to London and drop them off in person at CGC's London office.

I could attend a con, but that's a pipe dream too because none of my mates are into comics and I don't have any kids. And who would want to subject their kids to middle aged blokes in fancy dress / drag / cosplay, in any case! lol 

My dream is that CGC open a place here in the UK that actually slabs the books. A place where I can post them to and have them posted back. I can't think of anything less pointless than the office they have in London... Maybe spider-mites, yea definitely spider-mites... CGC congratulations! Your London office is less pointless than the Borg! Honestly, what purpose does that office serve? Why in-person only? Why 30% more money? Do I pull my own pants down or do they charge for that too?

Apologies for the wall of text and short rant. Just strikes me as very odd the way they announced a brand new London office that is actually harder work and more money than the old way of simply sending them off to the States. I wonder if that is even still possible? CGC UK seems to be nothing more than a glorified middle man, And I think whoever works there must have the easiest job in the world because surely no one has used them.

11 hours ago, Dan82 said:

I could attend a con, but that's a pipe dream too because none of my mates are into comics and I don't have any kids.

Most of my immediate friends don't collect comics. None that I could think of would want to accompany me to a convention. Sporting events, yes. A workout or run, yes. A comic con, no. That never stopped me from flying solo and if occasionally surrounding yourself with like-minded collectors who love the hobby is your idea of fun, what your friends are doing or what they may think while you're enjoying yourself solo at a convention shouldn't stop you.