• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

298 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

Sorry about the smudges and whatnot. :foryou: 

I didn't even think about the scanner glass until I had around 30 grades all 9.2-9.8 and then someone guessed 7.0.  Then I thought...uh oh. :fear: 

the fair thing to do is do a replacement book.

9 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I'm going to be the first whiner and say if over 25 people got this right, then I'm glad I now understand the rules of engagement. CGC Census DB here I come.

What rules of engagement?  Look at books, grades books, submit grades.  I would hope that is how it is done, if not, I've been doing it wrong all these years.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

scuffs on case should be mentioned.  This is a grading game, not a guessing game.  As far as staple wear-

Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 7.17.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 7.18.11 PM.png

That second (horizontal) mark shows up on the front cover too, so it must not be on the book.

I don't think it's just Andy's scanner necessarily... books that are really JET black and glossy can show up every tiny spot on the scanner and the case. (This actually triggered a fond memory: I can remember all the way back to Nik busting on me mercilessly once for grading a 9.8 black cover as a 7.5 or whatever in HIS contest.)  lol

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

(This actually triggered a fond memory: I can remember all the way back to Nik busting on me mercilessly once for grading a 9.8 black cover as a 7.5 or whatever in HIS contest.)  lol

This round is not triggering any fond memories around these parts :pullhair:

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

then someone guessed 7.0

Yea that was me. Properly shamed. But between possible smudges and maybe cover flakes (or were they stars in the nightime sky?). That one was tricky for me. I may have to recuse myself from further PGM participation. I knew I had a tendency to grade low, but I may now apply for a job as a CGC grader. The evil kind that we all despise :devil:

21 minutes ago, eddly said:

This was the only round... right?

No.  There are 9 more rounds.  

Round 2 is now posted in its own thread.

Please post your grades to me in the same PM thread that I created for you, me, and Shin. (thumbsu 

Edited by thirdgreenham
greggy is a dork

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

Yea that was me. Properly shamed. But between possible smudges and maybe cover flakes (or were they stars in the nightime sky?). That one was tricky for me. I may have to recuse myself from further PGM participation. I knew I had a tendency to grade low, but I may now apply for a job as a CGC grader. The evil kind that we all despise :devil:

Based on what you actually saw, your grading skills are top notch.  That book looked a mess.  No one can recognize spider man with his mask on either-

7 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I dunno, I feel like I wasn't guessing when I looked very closely at the smudges and scrapes on the case and figured out what was what before submitting my grades. A make up book makes it seem like the rest of us just got lucky?

97 out of 110 people "just got lucky"