• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED
5 5

94 posts in this topic

1st :takeit: in the sales thread takes it over PM's and open negotiations.  But I am open to offers on these books.

Payment by PayPal, MO's and checks.  Payment within 72 hours after auction end, please.

Shipping is at cost within CONUS (where my Collectible Insurance policy covers) and Canada (where insurance is not provided, due to impossibility to get a shipment signed for).  So Canadians, all shipping risk is on you, including non-delivery, because I have never been able to get a package signed for.  And I've tried.  Go Canada!

No returns on slabs; raw is OK within one week of your receipt.  That cost is on you.

No probies or HOSers.  I reserve the right to deny a sale, but that would be most unusual.

Edited by Dr. Love

Reserved for recap:

BIG PRICE DROPS!!  10% to 40% OFF!!

this thread closes tomorrow - so come and get your love!

page 1

Teen-Age Love #23 9.2  $250  $150

Girls' Love #126 7.5  $150  $125

Teen-Age Romances #7 4.0  $450  $400

page 2

Heart Throbs #37 VG+/VG/F #37 $45  $25

Personal Love #17 8.5  $1,000  $750

Secret Romances #24 F/VF to VF-  $375  $300

page 4

Love Diary #31 5.5  $2,500  $2,250

Just Married #102 8.0  $250  SOLD

Just Married #104 9.0  $175  SOLD

My Life #13 VG/VG-  $700  SOLD

Archie #103 VG  $20  SOLD

Laugh Comics #66 6.5 $275  SOLD

Intimate Love #10 VG  $20  SOLD

Girl Confessions #25 VG/F to F- $125  SOLD

Love Romances #81 F-  $75  SOLD

Hi-School Romance #3 pg. 14 OA  $275  SOLD

Girls' Love #42 8.0  $300  SOLD

First Love #3 VF/VF+  $35  SOLD

First Romance #18 NM- $50  SOLD

True Love Problems #3 Canadian VF $25  SOLD

Romance of Rubber 8.5  $100  "for the man who has everything"  SOLD

Sweethearts #120 VF+ $75  SOLD

Campus Loves #3 F  $425  SOLD

Miss America #66 VG-  $10  CLAIMED

Edited by Dr. Love

Teen-Age Love #23 9.2 OW  $250   NOW $150    

A very simple, sweet Charlton book that evokes the silver age of romance.  Still .10, as Charlton liked to remind everyone!  Definitely Colletta inks, and imo pencils as well - if not, then Joltin' Joe Sinnott.  This cover contains some trademark Colletta elements; the deep in the mouth clinch, recognizable landscape elements, and of course a brief glimpse of the Colletta Cloud, always cumulus, usually there to add tone to the sky.  Colletta could do teens very well (unlike certain artists ahem Baker who couldn't) and was unusually gifted when it came to drawing the fashions of the times.

Sole graded in this case, as a lot of my books are.  This kind of grade is very very rare for romance, but particularly for Charlton romance.  Charlton had a negligible presence on the spinner racks, production values were poor, and this publisher was not kept in condition and cherished by young girls in the 1960's.

TeenAgeLove23f.thumb.jpg.f36c32e7daeee13a990d9681d43e0dd2.jpg

TeenAgeLove23b.thumb.jpg.6a3b2071c2c2a7383f37bcb30ab3f20d.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Things you didn't know about CHARLTON

They were the first company to bring in foreign artists - Duck Giordano, editor-in-chief: "Because the staff by that time (around 1964) had shrunk considerably, I had to look for people to fill out the rest of the schedule. In order to get the money to pay for the freelance work, I farmed out a whole mess of stuff, after the guys on staff got theirs, to a studio in South America which I discovered the name and address of in Pat Musilli's files. These guys were great illustrators in South America (the Union Studio in Argentina) and all I had to do was send them plain English scripts - they would do the translations into their language - and they would send back finished work but at a tremendously lower rate. So I worked out a deal with my boss so that the money I saved there went to Steve Ditko and all the other freelancers I dealt with in New York so they were getting decent, not great, but decent rates compared to what everybody else was getting."

The main Latino artists for Charlton were: Luis Avila, Ernesto Garcia, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Nestor Olivera, Demetrio Sanchez Gomez ("Demetrio"). They are relatively unknown, except for Lopez of course, who went on to DC. Their style was unique, somewhat outside the box, very 70's.

Just Married #102 8.0 White $250  SOLD!

This is a Demetrio book.  He only did six covers. He's the Frazetta of the Argentinian comic world, I kid you not. 

Romance tip: buy any high grade Demetrio you see.  Like this one, which imho belongs on the list of the Top 50 Romance books.  I love it all day, every day.  Certainly it is a Bronze super star.

JustMarried102f.thumb.jpg.fc612cbc7e6f0716b2607e9a2a2b81c3.jpg

JustMarried102b.thumb.jpg.bfe83f40f44817080d64b37bd547ce3e.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

Things you didn't know about CHARLTON

They were the first company to bring in foreign artists - Duck Giordano, editor-in-chief: "Because the staff by that time (around 1964) had shrunk considerably, I had to look for people to fill out the rest of the schedule. In order to get the money to pay for the freelance work, I farmed out a whole mess of stuff, after the guys on staff got theirs, to a studio in South America which I discovered the name and address of in Pat Musilli's files. These guys were great illustrators in South America (the Union Studio in Argentina) and all I had to do was send them plain English scripts - they would do the translations into their language - and they would send back finished work but at a tremendously lower rate. So I worked out a deal with my boss so that the money I saved there went to Steve Ditko and all the other freelancers I dealt with in New York so they were getting decent, not great, but decent rates compared to what everybody else was getting."

The main Latino artists for Charlton were: Luis Avila, Ernesto Garcia, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Nestor Olivera, Demetrio Sanchez Gomez ("Demetrio"). They are relatively unknown, except for Lopez of course, who went on to DC. Their style was unique, somewhat outside the box, very 70's.

The origination of offshoring....

giphy5656.gif.cf086688d3dad4bfd764fde8de39e932.gif

Just now, Dr. Love said:

Just Married #102 8.0 White $250 

This is a Demetrio book.  He only did six covers. He's the Frazetta of the Argentinian comic world, I kid you not. 

Romance tip: buy any high grade Demetrio you see.  Like this one, which imho belongs on the list of the Top 50 Romance books.  I love it all day, every day.  Certainly it is a Bronze super star.

JustMarried102f.thumb.jpg.fc612cbc7e6f0716b2607e9a2a2b81c3.jpg

JustMarried102b.thumb.jpg.bfe83f40f44817080d64b37bd547ce3e.jpg

Take it.

Just Married #104 9.0 OWW $175  First interracial kiss?   SOLD!

As far as I can tell, the first interracial romance cover would be Young Romance 171 (5/71) - Anglo/Latin apparently.  And an implied Anglo/Afro cover on Young Romance 194 (8/73).   The generally accepted first interracial comic kiss would be Amazing Adventures 31 (7/75).  And then Iron Fist and Misty Knight clinching in Marvel Team Up 65 (1/78).

This is a great 1975 book with a fantastic Joe Staton cover.  But no, in the story this guy is white.  So either something went "wrong" with coloring and continued on to printing, or the Charlton staff wanted to poke a stick in DC's eye, grab a cultural step on the competition, without having to purposefully write and draw an interracial story.  Which it is not.

This book doesn't come up on anybody's interracial comic list.  Except mine.  Cause I don't believe it was an error.  On the other hand - to me it is one of the essential books that define the romance Bronze Age. 

JustMarried104f.thumb.jpg.b66fa03abe6a5091eb38156aca92620c.jpg

JustMarried104b.thumb.jpg.9154ccc3e1bfee14cb5b0a88d6769b71.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Girls Love #126 7.5  $150   NOW $125

Infantino romance covers make my heart go pitter-pat.  Most of the small handful are from the GA.  For SA, which is where things get definitively Infantino in a way we all would recognize immediately, there is one and only one book that fits that bill - Girls' Love #126.

This one has got it all: go-go check, black black black cover, Elongated Man gets married...well, not really, but that's the way I always think about it!

This book doesn't come around too often, and because of the black cover, it's almost impossible to find in grade.

GirlsLove126fc.thumb.jpg.d42c690d6d3279f23b31e4e924caeb0e.jpg

GirlsLove126b.thumb.jpg.8be92d6f01963d37807af5aa2e77480a.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

My Life #13 VG/VG-? OW  $700   SOLD!

In romance, there are two categories, Fox books and Not-Fox books.  Obviously we all desire certain publishers more, a la St. John/Baker, but undeniably Fox was in a class by itself.  Salacious to the max, and sometimes...violent as well.  This is one of those.  The bent arm behind the back by an unseen assailant, the sparse dialogue - is she pleading, promising compliance, or expressing her defiance?  It's a minor grail in the romance world, certainly one of the Fox grails within the publisher.

This book presents extraordinarily well for what would be its technical grade.  Spine splits are what drags it down, but they are my favorite grade killing defect.  This book has a 2" split on the bottom of the spine, going up to the bottom staple, and a 1" split on the top.  A little edge chip on the front cover, and you can see the general wear on the back. 

A copy of this book sold on the boards two years ago, in lesser grade, for $500.  Here's what the seller had to say:

"I won this a few years back in an eBay auction for around $300. Have not seen a copy for sale before or since. Obviously, for me to hold onto a book for around 2 years I must think it is pretty impossible to replace. Brutally tough book. There is one 3.5 copy on the census and it last sold in 2003. I am gonna miss this book but at least I have my pics.  I am sad that this book is on it's way to the Black Hole and I will never see it again. :cry: "

Well, never say never.  In honor of his sacrifice at the time, first shot on this impossible book goes to that seller: @Ricksneatstuff.  If he passes, it'll open up - but you can claim second place if you want.  Rick will keep us updated, I'm sure! 

MyLife13f.thumb.jpg.0df39becdc9846fa8f3cb821486e56ea.jpg

MyLife13b.thumb.jpg.7fbfafcc7b6acbfea39d40fd12178d66.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

My Life #13 VG/VG-? OW  $700

In romance, there are two categories, Fox books and Not-Fox books.  Obviously we all desire certain publishers more, a la St. John/Baker, but undeniably Fox was in a class by itself.  Salacious to the max, and sometimes...violent as well.  This is one of those.  The bent arm behind the back by an unseen assailant, the sparse dialogue - is she pleading, promising compliance, or expressing her defiance?  It's a minor grail in the romance world, certainly one of the Fox grails within the publisher.

This book presents extraordinarily well for what would be its technical grade.  Spine splits are what drags it down, but they are my favorite grade killing defect.  This book has a 2" split on the bottom of the spine, going up to the bottom staple, and a 1" split on the top.  A little edge chip on the front cover, and you can see the general wear on the back. 

A copy of this book sold on the boards two years ago, in lesser grade, for $500.  Here's what the seller had to say:

"I won this a few years back in an eBay auction for around $300. Have not seen a copy for sale before or since. Obviously, for me to hold onto a book for around 2 years I must think it is pretty impossible to replace. Brutally tough book. There is one 3.5 copy on the census and it last sold in 2003. I am gonna miss this book but at least I have my pics.  I am sad that this book is on it's way to the Black Hole and I will never see it again. :cry: "

Well, never say never.  In honor of his sacrifice at the time, first shot on this impossible book goes to that seller: @Ricksneatstuff.  If he passes, it'll open up - but you can claim second place if you want.  Rick will keep us updated, I'm sure! 

MyLife13f.thumb.jpg.0df39becdc9846fa8f3cb821486e56ea.jpg

w.gif.db6b88f4073823bc184c52291d5535aa.gif

Teen-Age Romances #7 4.0 CR-OW  $450   NOW $400

Cracked out book, label included.  This is one of the sought after big St. Johns, or oversized books, measuring 7.5" by 11".  There are only 3 in the census, with the top grade only getting to 6.0 after all these years.  One of the reasons it's so hard to find in grade is because the top of the book stuck out beyond it's more normally sized competition, and generally takes a lot of handling wear.  Not this copy - the top edge is SWEET, straight and perfecto.  This 4.0 is the second highest, but NOTE:  the label calls out a small amount of dried glue on the spine (I've looked for it, but I can't find it). 

This copy is a very attractive photocover with a deep purple, almost black background.

TeenAgeRomances07f.thumb.jpg.ab429f99eb998abec0c8ffd200f1466b.jpg

TeenAgeRomances07b.thumb.jpg.d9695c17fb76b63dbe5a560c2dedd026.jpg

20190920_162119.thumb.jpg.09df94b4185e7be82b6dd221f245345e.jpg

TeenAgeRomances07cert.thumb.jpg.1d09bc0242eda9ae65d3e34a09168301.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love
added interior shot

Archie #103 (8/59) VG  $20

A great Harry Lucey cover.  2" tear towards the top of the fc, tear on the bc, crunch on the top right corner that goes thru the whole book, overspray on the whole bottom edge. 

Veronica looks sexy, Archie looks gobsmacked as usual (six circling hearts, that's a lot for him!) This book looks very nice in mylar.

MCS has a F- raw on Ebay for $115, a slabbed 6.0 went for $65 back in January.

Archie103f.thumb.jpg.d6a139e26ddf0bd607be82abc80e83be.jpg

Archie103b.thumb.jpg.f620cbeb50ca85c674c325a2498b20e1.jpg