• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which ones to have signed and graded

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

So I want to have a big amount of comic books signed and graded, but as a student I cannot afford to be greedy. Which of the following books do you suggest I should have graded? Regarding value post sig. Grades will be probably 8.5 or higher for most. If you had to pick 4, which ones?

Detective Comics #880 (will be signed by Jock and Snyder)

Wolverine #100 (by Larry Hama and Adam Kubert)

New Mutants #1 (by Claremont and McLeod)

New Mutants #26 (by Claremont, and if he’ll be there then Bill Sienkiewicz)

X-Force #1 (1991. By Liefield and Nicieza)

Uncanny X-Men #195 (by Claremont and Romita Jr., and if he’ll be there then Sienkiewicz)

Fantastic Four #398 (by Tom DeFalco)

Dark Days: The Forge/The Casting #1 - Director’s Cut (by Snyder, Tynion IV, Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, Romita Jr. - will probably get 8.0 or 8.5 due to its condition).

And thanks :)

Edited by nmanoim

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I am not familiar with any of those books, just a reminder though...

Be sure the signing is witnessed by a CGC rep and you follow the proper chain of custody with CGC or the signature will not be verified as authentic.

https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

I’m aware but thanks for the reminder, Appreciate it! :)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

As was said, if these were not witnessed by CGC they will not come back as authentic signatures. They are not rare or high end books. I wouldn't waste your money. Just keep them in Mylar and enjoy them...

Thanks. So none of them is worth slabbing? I saw Detective Comics #880 being sold for 1000$ in eBay when 9.8. I guessed it would be worth *something* at a lower grade. Oh and I just realized I wrote 800 before instead of 880, so gonna edit it.

1 hour ago, nmanoim said:

I’m aware but thanks for the reminder, Appreciate it! :)

Thanks. So none of them is worth slabbing? I saw Detective Comics #880 being sold for 1000$ in eBay when 9.8. I guessed it would be worth *something* at a lower grade. Oh and I just realized I wrote 800 before instead of 880, so gonna edit it.

Of course it's worth something in a lower grade (Det 880) but most people are looking for very high grade slabbed modern books IMO. So u also have to take demand into account for common lower grade books. U can go to eBay and see how many books at a certain grade sold vs how many didn't. 

Figure out your total costs for slab/ship/insurance/etc vs what u think u can get for it and determine if the risk is worth ur  time & invested money.

Oh and good luck in school!