• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Craigslist Seller Red Flag
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Not sure if there is a better place to post this but I encountered and as out of Grand Rapids Michigan selling an entire lifelong collection. I was intrigued by some books so I sent a message. I asked if they are selling the entire collection or if they would sell books separate.

The response was weirdly worded and unclear. Basically guy said the collection was spread out with his grandchildren and he asked me to inquire about specific books. I inquired about a few (ASM 1, FF 1, Hulk 181 and a bunch of Golden Age Shock Suspenstories).

He responds with and an amount for Hulk 181 and for the one Tales of the Crypt (the pic of Hulk 181 had looked around a 5.0 and the Tales of the Crypt maybe 1.5.

He says I can pay for those two and send payment via PayPal to wesellcomix@gmail.com. If everything goes through and everyone happy he would proceed with giving me other prices on stuff (seemed kind of weird)

So I go back to try and see the ad to just verify the pictures and condition and the ad was removed. I message him about this saying I was concerned and he said maybe it was because the ad was listed in Florida’s well. I asked for more pics of the books. 

He sends them. Now as files, they are labelled as “screenshots” which worries me. Plus the Tales of the Crypt 44 are clearly two different books.I tell him this and he replies he thought he gave me both prices as he has two copies. Says he has been busy with replies.

Should I be concerned here? Is this a potential fraud or am I paranoid?

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hi all,

Not sure if there is a better place to post this but I encountered and as out of Grand Rapids Michigan selling an entire lifelong collection. I was intrigued by some books so I sent a message. I asked if they are selling the entire collection or if they would sell books separate.

The response was weirdly worded and unclear. Basically guy said the collection was spread out with his grandchildren and he asked me to inquire about specific books. I inquired about a few (ASM 1, FF 1, Hulk 181 and a bunch of Golden Age Shock Suspenstories).

He responds with and an amount for Hulk 181 and for the one Tales of the Crypt (the pic of Hulk 181 had looked around a 5.0 and the Tales of the Crypt maybe 1.5.

He says I can pay for those two and send payment via PayPal to wesellcomix@gmail.com. If everything goes through and everyone happy he would proceed with giving me other prices on stuff (seemed kind of weird)

So I go back to try and see the ad to just verify the pictures and condition and the ad was removed. I message him about this saying I was concerned and he said maybe it was because the ad was listed in Florida’s well. I asked for more pics of the books. 

He sends them. Now as files, they are labelled as “screenshots” which worries me. Plus the Tales of the Crypt 44 are clearly two different books.I tell him this and he replies he thought he gave me both prices as he has two copies. Says he has been busy with replies.

Should I be concerned here? Is this a potential fraud or am I paranoid?

I'd be concerned with a guy who says he is selling a lifelong collection but has bothered to set up an email called wesellcomix, that's the first sign, than it's all down hill from there. If I was going to deal in high priced merchandise of that magnitude I would want the transactions done in person. Also if the seller was legit, you dont know his packaging methods.

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd be concerned with a guy who says he is selling a lifelong collection but has bothered to set up an email called wesellcomix, that's the first sign, than it's all down hill from there. If I was going to deal in high priced merchandise of that magnitude I would want the transactions done in person. Also if the seller was legit, you dont know his packaging methods.

At first, I thought it was weaselcomix.

weasel-2-mickeys-christmas-carol-4_82.jpg.5542e0eec782bd6e9bc034b9fecd8b24.jpg

I didn't know Craigslist survived after they banned all the hooker ads... it's possible they turned the family comic collection into a family business, but there's no way they know what they're doing, even if they genuinely have these books.  Most likely, they've already sold the big books, and are using the leftover pictures to bait people into buying the scraps.

Edited by FineCollector