• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing comics
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Just started collecting comics. I have a quick question. What is wrong will laying a stack of comics flat on each other rather than a long box? I am afraid the bottom of the comic will get smashed while in a box vs laying flat. Please let me know what you think. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

When I find myself in similar situations, I ask myself -Is it possible that I have discovered something every other collector has failed to comprehend for fifty years.

Then I realize it is possible but almost improbable and I accept the common wisdom.

Stacking comics flat is known to be the best storage method, but doing it properly takes too much space and effort for most people.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, shadroch said:

When I find myself in similar situations, I ask myself -Is it possible that I have discovered something every other collector has failed to comprehend for fifty years.

Then I realize it is possible but almost improbable and I accept the common wisdom.

I don't understand why someone would post such a non-value-added response, especially attempting to make the other person feel stupid. This IS the newbie section...isn't it?!?! We are supposed to be using this forum to ask questions like this...aren't we? I'm somewhat of a newbie myself so always interested to hear what people with many years of experience have to share. Thanks to those of you who are actually trying to help those of us that are new to the collecting world.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I don't understand why someone would post such a non-value-added response, especially attempting to make the other person feel stupid. This IS the newbie section...isn't it?!?! We are supposed to be using this forum to ask questions like this...aren't we? I'm somewhat of a newbie myself so always interested to hear what people with many years of experience have to share. Thanks to those of you who are actually trying to help those of us that are new to the collecting world.

I don't know, I took Shadroc's comment as self-deprecating. Hard to tell in print the intent of a post. I think the same thing myself sometimes. In carpenter work (other hobby), I'll ask myself why it isn't done another way, and then through experience find out the hard way. 

I'd like to throw in that I appreciate all the people who post here and those who lend wisdom. "Noobs" asking questions save me from asking them, and the knowledge base on this board is incredible. This is the first place I search for comic information!

I think it’s a great question... I’m a noob myself, but my view would be that a comic that’s laid flat (horizontal) on a surface, with a number of comics laid on top, would be under a degree of pressure (the more comics on top, the more pressure).

This compression of the comic may seem favourable (ie it helps keep it nice and flat) but given that there are a couple of metal staples in the comic, and a fold, the comic itself isn’t flat, meaning that you are actually compressing an uneven surface with another uneven surface, resulting in the creation of imperfections such as spine role or staple indents.

Like I say, just my view, not backed up by much evidence or science... 

All my comics were stored on long boxes for at least 30 years.  I just started submitting them, most of them came back high 9s.  Long boxes doesn't look as sturdy as the ones I've seen, but with comic bag and board, it held out really well.  Considering that I've been through hurricanes with no power for weeks in between those years.  The best way to protect them long-term is not looking at them which I didn't for many years until recently for submissions.