• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Image Newsstand Thread
5 5

271 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, lets figure that out.  I do know that Youngblood was the first Image comic that didn't have newsstands and that was in April 1992 so that's our starting point....

Also, good idea on finding the rarest.  I do know that obviously Spawn 1 is worth the most, and often people love buying WildCATS 2 because of the beautiful white cover. 

What's the story behind  your Maxx #21?  How did you get it listed as a newsstand?

I had it signed and graded last year, and sent it in. It came back without any notation, despite being, like Spawn #9, completely different paper stock. I sent it back in, but CGC had to see a copy of the Direct so they could compare side by side...so I had to spend $8 on a copy ( :eyeroll: ) from Mile High and have it shipped directly to Sarasota. After comparing the two, they were willing to do the newsstand notation.

$8 for a dollar book. Oh well, at least it's Alan Moore's issue. 

I'm telling you...not designating newsstands from the outset was a terrible decision, and remains one today. CBCS' solution isn't much better, either.

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Have you ever seen a battle chasers 1 newsstand or astro city 1?

I never have. I'm reasonably sure AC was never newsstand, and Battle Chasers #1 may not have been. Of course, every time we say "this doesn't exist", one pops up.

The last Maxx newsstand found so far is #27. The newsstands, in general, petered out in 1996-1997. 

What makes Image newsstands so unique is that the creator-owner format resulted in a lot of different decisions about whether to distribute to newsstands or not.

Whereas DC, Marvel, Archie, et al were company-wide, and all the titles that would be distributed to the newsstands WERE, Image is completely unique...and very, very haphazard.

The aforementioned Youngblood, for example. 

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Have you ever seen a battle chasers 1 newsstand or astro city 1?

I have not seen either titles in newsstand of any issue. I just checked mile High Comics and they’ve none listed as newsstand, in stock or not, so they haven’t seen them either. 

Thats not to say Mile High Comics has seen every newsstand; I’ve got plenty of marvel newsstand editions they haven’t ever listed.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I had it signed and graded last year, and sent it in. It came back without any notation, despite being, like Spawn #9, completely different paper stock. I sent it back in, but CGC had to see a copy of the Direct so they could compare side by side...so I had to spend $8 on a copy ( :eyeroll: ) from Mile High and have it shipped directly to Sarasota. After comparing the two, they were willing to do the newsstand notation.

$8 for a dollar book. Oh well, at least it's Alan Moore's issue. 

I'm telling you...not designating newsstands from the outset was a terrible decision, and remains one today. CBCS' solution isn't much better, either.

I had to do something similar for my Danger Girl #2 and #3 in order to have CGC distinguish the versions. Also for Gen 13 #1 Cover A (1996 "ongoing")

It was a little bit easier in my case since both DG 2 and 3 are $1.95 cover priced (Gen 13 is $2.50) with the newsprint paper stock versus the $2.50 (Gen 13 is $2.95) "glossier" stock for Directs.

On 9/22/2019 at 6:08 AM, Joosh said:

@RockMyAmadeus I’ve not seen much info on the last newsstand issues from image. I think it was however long the creator kept selling through that channel.

Spawn went until 133 I think.

EDIT: Spawn newsstand went until at least 134; just found one (terrible condition) on eBay.

The last Spawn newsstand edition was 137 from August 2004.

http://spawnworld.com/books/newsstand.htm