• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Image Newsstand Thread
5 5

271 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:
On 1/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

As I understand it, the last year for newsstands at Image was 2003.

Spawn #137 is the final Spawn newsstand - June 2003 Previews numbering, but not in stores until August 2004

So, we have 8/04 as the last confirmed Image newsstand. Witchblade #74 is dated 4/04, and has a newsstand version.

DC and Marvel's 2013 and 2017 newsstand withdrawals understandably made much bigger news, but I'm surprised that Image went away without so much as a peep...it's possible that Spawn and Witchblade were the only Image newsstands for years.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

So, we have 8/04 as the last confirmed Image newsstand. Witchblade #74 is dated 4/04, and has a newsstand version.

DC and Marvel's 2013 and 2017 newsstand withdrawals understandably made much bigger news, but I'm surprised that Image went away without so much as a peep...it's possible that Spawn and Witchblade were the only Image newsstands for years.

Good to know.  Way overpriced on ebay but maybe I'll find them in the wild.  

41 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Maybe @RockMyAmadeus has some info...?

From what I’ve read there’s two versions. The Direct has a thick card stock cover and no yellow upc on the back. The newsstand had a thin glossy cover and a yellow upc on the back.

You said it was poly bagged, as in from the printers or someone just stuck it in there? What’s under that crooked white sticker would answer what version it is. It looks like the direct edition.  

46 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Maybe @RockMyAmadeus has some info...?

Looks like a generic UPC stuck on a bag to sell the book. As Corona Smith points out, that's just the Direct version that someone stuck in a bag. 

The Direct version has a cardstock cover, while the newsstand version has a standard "newsprint" cover, a la Invasion or the DC Annuals of the late 80s.

s-l1600.jpg

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Looks like a generic UPC stuck on a bag to sell the book. As Corona Smith points out, that's just the Direct version that someone stuck in a bag. 

The Direct version has a cardstock cover, while the newsstand version has a standard "newsprint" cover, a la Invasion or the DC Annuals of the late 80s.

Got it; thanks. Just a retailer dressing up (though quite some time ago) a regular Direct book.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, FlyingDonut said:

In a collection I just bought there are two boxes labeled "Image Drek". Looks like I'm box diving, as I have found a bunch of late Marvel newsies in the box labeled "Marvel Drek".

In the words of Dr. Algernop Krieger. Stop! My Pen is can only get so erect. 

Edited by Corona smith
Censorship sucks.